Sibling rivalry

"000. 001. This is your next assignment." A pair with matching brown hair and dull amber eyes enter a small room with cold white walls. They immediately noticed the various weaponry placed carefully on a table at the side of the room. There were guns, knives, small explosives and all sorts of ancient and modern weaponry.

"Choose a weapon." The cold, unwavering voice, a dull and monotone tone which had instructed them their whole lives. From the day they first entered this white hell, when there was still hope and people surrounding them, until the day the last person perished from the perilous conditions. Now there were only two alone. In a way, the voice was calming. It was the only constant in those unpredictable and tumultuous times, yet also the voice of the person that caused them.

A long time ago... that was the voice of their father.

"I remember a long, long time ago... at a certain point in time... even if it was just a split second, a fleeting moment... that he loved us."

"But I refuse to believe myself."

"Because as they say, ignorance is bliss."

"And maybe if I had clung onto that hope like a fool..."

"I wouldn't have survived."

"Those who show empathy and compassion, those who attempt to sympathize with their opponents..."

"Are the ones with the weakest minds and resolves."

As they say, things change with time. But perhaps that isn't true. Perhaps time changes us, the people we are, who we grow to be, the things we believe in...

Or perhaps this was all a grand, abstract lie from the beginning, and the longer we live, the more we see beyond the cracks of this mural we call society and equality.

Of all the things I know, the one thing I'll never understand...

Is the human heart.

Kiyotaka POV

Most of the people in this event are only subpar in their skill level. The class C people are pretty good at street fighting, but in this sort of contest where it is an honest fight, they don't fare well. I have observed that when they are fighting people, such as when Ryuen was fighting his class for the role of the tyrant leader, they tend to use dirty tactics instead of their own martial arts skills. In real life, that would be good enough. However, I suppose even this school has standards for students physical and mental health. They can't openly justify violence for this festival.

I easily climbed the ranks without avoiding suspicion, winning each round by the skin of my teeth. Most would believe I simply was lucky, even my opponents. That is far from the truth, but I enjoy avoiding attention. I can tell Keiko has been doing the same, seeing as there is no reason to let others know of our true abilities, blending into the shadows seems like an easier way to get through this normal high school life.

Next will be my match against Keiko, according to the match ups posted on the board. Fortunately, it is my semifinal match, so even if I win I can avoid getting first place and garnering attention. However...

I glance toward the gradient red eyed girl next to me. There's no way she would allow me to get lower than second place. I can feel Horikita's natural glare fixated on me as I turn my attention in front once more. "Ayanokoji." Is she suspicious?

"Yes?" I'll just reply normally.

"... Nothing. I'll discuss this with you another day." She must be thinking about that...