2. Back at school

I was back home the next day and spent most of it in bed. I could still feel his hands on me. I sat on the floor of my shower and felt the water wash over me, trying to feel anything on my skin that wasn't his touch, but it wasn't working. I wanted the water to wash it all away, but it didn't. I grabbed my razor and pushed the blade against my thigh, I wanted a distraction and I thought pain might distract me. It did. I felt relieved instantly as the only thing I could now feel was the pain in my thigh. I did it a few more times as the feeling started creeping back and sobbed. I got out of the shower and blood dripped onto the floor. I held a towel against my leg until the bleeding slowed. Then I just got dressed as usual. I refused to look in the mirror, I already knew there were bruises on my wrist and some light bruising on my cheek where he had held me too tight. I didn't need to see it again. I crawled into my bed and just stared at the wall. I was dreading going to school on Monday but there was no way my parents would let me skip. I sighed and closed my eyes.

I must have fallen asleep because I could feel him on me again but this time he didn't stop. I woke up sweating and shaking and could still feel his hands on me. I ran to the shower and made the water as hot as I could. My skin turned red and it hurt, but at least the feeling was going away. The water stung my fresh cuts and I winced. I didn't look down; I didn't want to face what I had done. Amanda and Sarah called to check on me, but I told them I needed to be alone. They understood and told me they would see me Monday.

I was not looking forward to school. I'd woke up in the middle of the night again. I tried to cover the bags under my eyes and the bruise on my cheek with makeup, but it didn't help much. I gave up and put on my usual outfit. Jeans and a t-shirt. I didn't want to look like something was wrong. Amanda picked me up for school and my friends didn't pry. They knew I was upset but they also knew I didn't want to discuss it any further. I loved my friends, but I don't feel like they need to know what was going on with me. They told me everything would be okay, and each held a hand as we walked into school. I was starting to calm down after my first few classes went smoothly. I couldn't focus but I didn't see Mitchell, so I was okay. That was until lunch. We sat down at our usual table and Chrissy came over to check on me. I told her I was fine now; it was just the alcohol. We started to eat lunch when Mitchell walked in and made a beeline for our table. He grinned at me.

"Hey Elizabeth, do you want to see a movie tonight? We can finish that little... conversation we started at the party." I felt panic rising in my chest.

"She's hanging with us tonight." Sarah glared at him. "Leave us alone please." Mitchell looked at her in disgust but walked off. He went over to the other jocks and started whispering to them, they turned to look at me while he did so. I stood up leaving my food behind and running out of the cafeteria. I pushed past several people and ran outside. I sat down on a bench behind the gym and broke down. The bell rang and I composed myself. I could not let anyone know that something was wrong. I stood up and almost ran into a tall boy with long curly dark hair. Eddie looked down at me, surprised then saw my face and his expression changed to one of concern.

"Hey, Elizabeth, right? You're in my English class. Are you okay?" I nodded. He was usually a loud and disruptive person but not right now. He looked at my face and very obviously noticed the dark circles under my eyes and the bruise on my cheek. I reached down to grab my bag to leave, and he noticed the darker bruise on my wrist. I had forgotten to cover it. It was very obviously the imprint of fingers. There wasn't much else it could be, and I could see Eddie starting to fit the pieces together. I walked off before he could say anything else. I headed to class. He still didn't know who the boy was that had walked off at the party, but he was starting to understand what had happened. I walked into my class and sat down. I didn't have Amanda or Sarah in my English class, so I sat alone at the back. I didn't mind because I enjoyed English. Eddie walked into the classroom soon after and sat at the desk in the back corner which was next to my desk. We had single desks in this room rather than doubles. Eddie looked over at me, but I didn't react. I was gong to ignore him and get through this class. Then someone I had completely forgotten was in this class walked into the room. Mitchell grinned at me and sat on the other side of me. I felt my body tense and the panic start to rise in my chest. I ignored him and luckily the teacher started the lesson and I had something to focus on. I felt a piece of paper hit my cheek. I looked down at the crumpled ball and slowly opened it. 'I'm going to finish what I started at the party' the note read. I knew immediately who it was from. I looked up in shock and Mitchell winked at me. I could feel my test tightening. I slammed my books in my bag and got up.

"I feel sick, I'm going to see the nurse." I quietly muttered to the teacher as I walked past and out the door. She looked a bit shocked at my sudden departure but nodded. I left the crumpled note on the floor by my desk. I ran outside and around a corner out of sight to have a full-blown panic attack.

Meanwhile: Eddie was confused at the girl's sudden outburst. Then he spotted the crumpled piece of paper and saw Mitchell snickering. Mitchell raised his hand and asked if he should go and check on the girl. The teacher nodded, a little concerned about the girl. Mitchell left the room and Eddie leant down to grab the paper. He opened it and read the messy handwriting. He realized who the boy had been, and he jumped up. He knew why Mitchell had followed Elizabeth now. He ran out of the room without a word to the teacher.