15. Jessica

Jessica's POV

I watched Eddie as he paced around the waiting room, chewing on his nails. He hadn't been still for hours. When he wasn't pacing, he was sitting and bouncing his leg anxiously. Finally, a doctor came out. She was alive. They managed to save her arm, but she was going to need to be in hospital for a while. We went to her room immediately and she didn't look like herself. Eddie sat next to her and held her hand. He was crying. He loved her. The police had spoken to us in the waiting room, getting our statements. A new group of officials walked in and had us sign a bunch of forms. We weren't allowed to tell anyone what really happened. They were going with the story of a serial killer. Apparently, the monster had escaped a lab where experiments had been done on it. It was killing for sport for no real reason. We didn't really know how to take this information, but we agreed to stay quiet. They offered us a large sum of money. Eddie immediately agreed. He clearly needed it. I agreed too because who would turn that down?

I had gone home for the night but returned the next day with food and clean clothes for Eddie. He had also sent me to get his book, Walkman, and tapes while he was there. I found him asleep on the chair next to Liz, still holding her hand. Doctors thought she might take a few days to wake up. It was sad seeing Eddie so distraught and helpless. I sat down in another chair and grabbed a chocolate from the snack bag. I ate it as I waited for Eddie to wake up. I was nearly finished with my chocolate when I heard him stir.

"Morning Eddie." I said quietly. He looked around and saw me. I handed him the bag of things and he went to go shower and change. He really needed to. He was still covered in Liz's blood. I sat on the end of the bed and held the hand Eddie had been holding. Elizabeth and Jessica. The survivors. We shared the names of the sweet valley high twins. Liz and I both read those books. We both identified a little more with Elizabeth. I smiled as I thought about the few times we had hung out. We talked about books and movies. Liz was short and she looked so cute when she got excited about things. I was surprised someone so small had been able to take down a monster like that. I smiled at her fondly and reached up to her face to push a blonde curl behind her ear. I heard a door open, and Eddie returned. I smiled at him and moved over, letting him have his spot back. He grabbed his Walkman and pulled a tape out of the bag. I looked at the case and saw that it had 'to Liz' scrawled on it. He put the tape in the Walkman and put the headphones over Liz's head. He pressed play. He grabbed an apple from the bag too and started eating it as he sat back in his chair.