13. the attack

We reached the lake. We were almost there. I turned back to Jessica and Amanda. I opened my mouth to speak but instead I was silenced by a blood curdling scream. Amanda was on the ground with the monster slashing at her stomach, getting ready to eat her head with its flower shaped mouth fully open, displaying the teeth and drool for everyone to see. Eddie spun around and quickly rushed to the scene. He grabbed my hand and pulled me.

"Run!" he yelled to Jessica. I dropped his hand as I ran, He turned to check I was still there and then kept running. Then I stopped. I turned back to Amanda. The monster was on top of her. I couldn't leave my friend behind. Eddie and Jessica were still running. They hadn't noticed I wasn't with them yet.

In all of this, I realized that I still had the axe and charged towards the monster as it began to eat Amanda's head. I quickly lunged forwards, letting the axe pierce through the shoulder blade of the monster, and with all my might, I pushed the axe down until its arm came undone, spewing out thick crimson blood. The monster howled, releasing its mouth from Amanda to instead focus on me. Its arm twitched on the ground as the monster drew closer, before swinging at me. I barely dodged it, though I felt pain soar through my body as I realized its claws nicked my waist. Before I could recover, it soared forwards, grabbing my left arm and bit down on it, allowing its claws to dig into my arm trying to keep it still. I quickly reacted by shoving my axe into its other shoulder blade, it quickly moved away, but sadly its arm was still attached with a nasty wound.

I looked down to see a chuck of skin removed from my arm, you could see all the way down to the bone marrow. Blood ran out of it as I could feel the arm becoming numb, and soon became nothing but a dead weight at my side. I lunged again at its torso, I knew I couldn't give up, not now, I'm in too deep. It screamed in pain before plunging its claws into my stomach. I screamed before using that last of my energy to plunge the axe into its heart. Blood squirted out onto my face and clothes, as the monster fell. However, once its claws were out of me, I quickly used my axe to behead the monster, killing it, if it wasn't already dead. I'd seen enough horror movies to know you finish them off. Blood pooled around it, as I stood heaving, letting the blood pour out of my body as I stared down in horror at what just happened. The adrenaline coursing through my veins kept the pain from me but now it rushed back. I felt my body sway. I couldn't keep myself up. I fell and felt someone's arms around me before I hit the ground. Eddie.