8. camp day 2

I woke with a start to Amanda shaking me awake.

"Get up! Oh my god. We are going to be late!" I grumble and look at the watch.

"We don't have to be up for another 20 minutes."

"I want a shower before it gets busy." I sigh and get up. The other girls are already ready to go. We leave the room in a group and start the day. I sigh as I feel the warm water hit my body. I close my eyes and I just live in the feeling for a moment. I hear a slight noise outside and I open my eyes. I listen for a moment, but I don't hear it again. We leave the showers and head back to our cabin as a line starts to form for the showers. We eat breakfast, laughing and talking. We have pottery today and I was very excited. Our cabin groups were being combined with three others to make larger activity groups. Two cabin groups of boys and two of girls in each group. The teacher read out the cabin numbers in each group. Eddie's cabin, Mitchell's cabin, a cabin of cheerleaders, and us. We have several hours of clay crafts. The first few hours would be a guided craft then we had a few hours to make anything we wanted. The teacher dismissed us, and we all went to our activity spaces for the day. There were four activity groups so we would rotate each day. One group went off to do cooking, another group was doing an obstacle course and the last group was going to be doing general camping activities. I'm not entirely sure what that meant but I'm sure I will find out. Another activity would be added tomorrow. Clay painting. For five days we will rotate activities but each day, one activity won't be running. The last day of camp would be swimming in the lake, toasting marshmallows, dancing, and partying. Alcohol was not permitted but that didn't mean people hadn't brought it with them. We would also have nightly whole group activities with everyone in camp. Tonight, was capture the flag.

We sat down at the three picnic tables that had been set up for clay crafts. The cheerleaders split between out cabin group and Jason and Mitchell's. Eddie's cabin group sat alone. They were a cabin of people that weren't picked to join other cabins. I concentrated hard on everything we were being instructed to do with the clay. We were making mugs. My friends were laughing at each other's mistakes. We finished our creations and placed them gently on the tray at the front. I was pretty happy with mine. It was simple although not perfect. I figured I could sand it down later once it had dried. I looked over and saw Eddie with his tongue sticking slightly out of his mouth. He was concentrating on the finishing touches and his brows were furrowed in concentration. I smiled to myself at how cute it was. I quickly looked away, realizing that I was staring. We were sent to the dining hall for lunch. We had an hour and then we were expected to return.

Everyone at the clay craft table started discussing what they were going to make. I decided on a little trinket dish. A few girls liked my idea and decided to do the same. We asked each other for little tips as we worked. Before we knew it, we had finished, and it was time for dinner. We put our creations on a new tray and ran to the dining room. We ate quickly in anticipation. Capture the flag was next and everyone was excited. The teachers quietened us down and told us we would be combining activity groups together, so we had two teams. They handed us colored tops and told us all the rules. We were blue team; the other was red. Very original.

Jason took over our team. He barked out orders at us. Eddie and I were stuck guarding the base with two jocks. One of them was Mitchell. No doubt Jason did it on purpose. I didn't want to cause any problems, so I didn't complain. The start of the game was announced with the sound of a trumpet. We all followed our orders, and everyone set off. Leaving me behind. I sighed and sat down. I heard Mitchell and his friend, George snickering in the corner. Eddie was leaning against a table and playing with his rings. Our base was a small shed. It had a few tools and supplies along with a few chairs and tables. I looked around and tried to think of something to do. I pulled a pencil from my pocket. I forgot I had it. I started drawing on the table. Little flowers and hearts. Then I felt someone grab my arm. I looked up at Mitchell. He grinned at me.

"Hey Liz." He hissed in my ear. "Why don't we finish what we started. You know, before you said no to that second date." I gulped. George was grinning at me. It made me very uncomfortable. Eddie stood up and walked over.

"Get your hand off her." He said quietly to Mitchell. Mitchell laughed.

"Or what, freak. You can't fight. You run away. You're a pussy. You can't do anything." Eddie didn't react at all. He just stood there. There was a rustle outside. Mitchell let go and went to investigate. It was Jason returning with information. They worked out some plans and Jason went off again to tell the others.

The  game ended in a loss for us. We headed back to our cabins. There hadn't been another issue with Mitchell other than a few disgusting comments. I got back to my cabin and found Jessica. She was already in bed but not asleep. She was doodling. She was great at drawing. She was sketching my little book pile. I smiled at her and got into bed. Before long, I was asleep.