4. the freak

The next class was English. I noticed as I walked in that Eddie had sat where I did yesterday, leaving the corner seat free. I smiled at him and sat down. At least Mitchell couldn't sit next to me. The class started and the teacher told us we were going to be working in pairs to make a poster relating to our class book. Our partners would be whoever was sitting next to us. Eddie grinned at me and wiggled his eyebrows. I smiled at him, and everyone moved their desks over, closer to their partners. I explained my thoughts on 'Romeo and Juliet' and Eddie listened, nodding to show he agreed. The poster had to show the struggle of a particular character and explain why they did what they did. Eddie wanted to do the Friar and I ended up agreeing because I didn't have a better idea. We had 2 weeks and the teacher suggested some of us work out of class time too. Eddie and I decided to stay after class and work in the library.

I met Amanda and told her I had to do some English work and to not wait up. She shrugged and I headed to the library. As I got closer, I saw Eddie arguing with the school librarian.

"Come on, it was an accident that one time. I promise to behave, and I won't knock anything over."

"You are loud and far too reckless, Mr. Munson. I don't trust you in my library." I giggled and walked over.

"I promise to keep him in check Ms. Reed." I told her. She trusted me, I hung out in the library during my study periods and sometimes helped her out with putting away books. She looked at me and sighed.

"Oh, so you're the English partner. Okay then but do not let him out of your sight." She glared at Eddie, and he smiled sheepishly. I shook my head at him. We went inside and sat down, opening our books, and planning out the poster. We wrote down ideas and joked a little bit. After an hour we stopped. Eddie had band practice so we both went home, happy with the progress we had made.

I got home and placed the camp information sheet on the counter. I knew my parents would see it when they got home. I made dinner for everyone because it was my turn to. Mom and I took turns making dinner most nights but sometimes we all just sorted our own dinner out. Only one night a week we got to have a family dinner. Dad was always working late so sometimes Mom and I ate together, sometimes we each ate alone. Sunday night was family dinner night. Mom made dinner and then after we would all sit and watch a movie. I wasn't super close with my parents, but it was good to have this time together. I cooked pasta and served myself then put the rest in a container to put in the fridge. I went to my room and ate while reading over my notes and doing any homework I had left.

I woke up early in a cold sweat, another nightmare. I looked at the clock. 6:24 am. It was early but I might as well get up and get ready for school. I dragged my feet doing so, knowing I had plenty of extra time. Amanda picked me up and we drove to school. Sarah and I sat next to each in class. First class of the day and it's maths? A nightmare. The teacher walked into the room and started handing forms out. They were camp forms. Sarah and I looked over ours and looked at each other grinning. One of the forms was a permission slip, the other was a schedule and a list of things you needed to bring. The day was a boring one, we mostly talked about camp, and we avoided Mitchell. He kept looking over at me and snickering from across the cafeteria, but he didn't approach me. Sarah, Amanda, and I looked over the camp list and added things we thought we might need. We decided to write a completely new list of what we needed to get while shopping. Jessica wandered over to ask about shopping and saw what we were doing. She sat down and joined us to help add what she needed to the list. I loved writing lists and ticking everything off. They let me write the list and watched giggling as I wrote down who needed each item and how many. They made jokes about how organized I was, and I laughed with them. I looked up to see Eddie smiling at me as he stood nearby talking to someone. He must have heard them teasing me. I stuck my tongue out at him and he pretended to be offended then grinned. I turned back to my friends who had witnessed the interaction.