17. The End

SEVERAL MONTHS LATER:

I was now best friends with Jessica. I suppose it was partly a trauma bond, but we got along well before all of this happened. It took a while for me to recover physically but mentally I was still traumatized. Eddie asked me out as soon as I left the hospital. He had barely left my side the entire time I was there. My parents had been out of town when I had arrived home early, dead in an ambulance. They had rushed home and met Eddie in my hospital room. They were unsure of him at first but when Jessica told them he saved me, they warmed up to him. Now Eddie and Jessica joined our Sunday night family dinners. Eddie stayed over most nights and when he wasn't sleeping over, Jessica was. I got nightmares. Really bad ones. We all did. We needed each other. We stuck together. Jessica didn't mind third wheeling for a while, but she did start dating someone herself. A boy who had been at the camp and survived. His name was Darcy and he seemed quite nice. We would double date a bit, but I was mostly grateful Jessica wasn't being forced to be a third wheel anymore. Life was never going to be normal again. We were all still grieving but we had reached a level of normalcy that was comforting. Now we just had to graduate.

Eddie's playlist:

Master of puppets -Metallica

The trooper -Iron maiden

Girls, Girls, Girls -Mötley Crüe

Cum on feel the noize -Quiet riot

Welcome to the jungle -Guns 'n' roses