Chapter Fourty-Nine

A few days after the burial of Duke Laurenze, the vasal houses under the dukedom has requested for an official gathering to appoint the new head of the dukedom.

I gazed at the duke's advisor, he's holding the last will. A small smirk appeared on my lips. That letter is not they are expecting or should I say it's not what Celestia is expecting. I already fabricated that letter and burned the original last will.

"Your highness," they all greeted.

I saw Celestia smiling from ear to ear beside Prince Pierre. I only ignored them and went to my sit along with my brother.

The meeting has started.

"It really broke our hearts, losing the benevolent duke of Laurenze dukedom. And now that he is gone, the head seat of this dukedom is empty. Therefore, as a vasal houses of Laurenze dukedom, we respectfully want to elect the rightful owner of the seat," Count Negeordia said.

The other vasal heads nod their heads to agree on what he said. I don't know where this meeting is heading to but why am I feeling uneasy? I secretly glanced at Celestia and she's just smiling from ear to ear.

I don't like this...

"As we all know, Lord Yzel Laurenze forfeited his rights to be the next duke." That's right. My brother gave up his rights but why are they bringing this up now?

Marquis Tyga cleared his throat. "And Princess Azelaine will most likely to be the next empress. Therefore, she can not inherit the dukedom."

"Wait a minute," I interfered. "Are you not going to read His grace's last will? Why are you deciding this on your own judgement?" The duke's advisor handed the letter to them but I was left dumbfounded when they burned it right in front of me.

"What do you think you're doing? That letter is important!" Yzel exclaimed.

"Apologies, Lord Laurenze. However, we already saw that letter and there is no insignia of the late duke. Hence, we acknowledge it to be fake." My eyes widened. My body has started to shake because of anger.

I gritted my teeth. "I, Crown Princess Azelaine of house Laurenze, demands my rights to have the Laurenze dukedom." I will never let Celestia take the duchy, not on my watch.

"We acknowledge you as the crown princess, Your highness. However, in this meeting, you have the authority of being the lady of house Laurenze and we have the rights to elect the next head of the dukedom."

He is not wrong but I can't accept this. Despite being the crown princess, I have merely a power to demand my rights. So all the efforts I put in was all in vain.

I felt a hand wrapped around my clenching fist and when I look up, I saw my brother's defeated gaze. Are we really defeated? Is there any other way to obtain the dukedom nor anything just to keep Celestia away from inheriting the duchy?

"Shall we continue what you were discussing, Marquis Tyga?"

Celestia!

The marquis cleared his throat and smiled at her. "This only leaves Lady Celestia Laurenze to be the inheritor of Laurenze dukedom." She have them wrapped around her fingers. She must have seen my plan to fabricate the letter and went on to brainwash the vasal heads in order to have the duchy.

Celestia, you little shit.

They all voted for Celestia as the new duchess of Laurenze dukedom except for me and my brother. They also started to plan on doing a banquet for her and announce that she will be the new duchess.

Wait...

"What happens if Duchess Linia Laurenze is still alive?" I blurted out and caught all of their attention. Their eyes widened and suddenly whispered to themselves.

"Laine..." Yzel whispered but I ignored him.

None of them knows that she is alive, not even Celestia and Prince Pierre. I know Celestia never thought of the duchess, hence, she might not expected my question. There's also a chance that she left out that information while brainwashing these old idiots since all of them was shaken.

"T-Then... of course, Duchess Laurenze has the rights to claim the dukedom more than anyone else but I don't think that will happen, yes?" Viscount Albeion chuckled and the other men followed him.

Count Ferdrick looked at me. "Duchess Laurenze has been long dead, Your highness. But why do you ask?"

"I never thought that my mother is dead since I never seen her corpse," I answered him and smiled. His mouth gaped and nods afterwards. My eyes went to Celestia.

"I must leave now since I have something to do in the imperial palace. You all can continue planning for the banquet." I stood up and my brother followed me. "I'm expecting my invitation on this banquet and on your wedding. Congratulations, sister." I smiled wickedly before leaving the room.

My footsteps are heavy and my anger is still there, it didn't subside. I may have the final laugh on this but I can't deny that Celestia still defeated me as she almost had the dukedom.

"Laine!" My brother grabbed my arm and made me turn to him. "Why are you including mother in this?" He's angry.

I snorted. "I can't let Celestia have the dukedom, can I? You forfeited your rights and I can't even demand my rights. If I let Celestia inherit the dukedom then I can't be the empress." His face turned solemn. What's important to me now is to have my revenge and to be the empress.

"And now what? You're going to sell out your own mother just to have your ambition?! You have gone insane, Laine!"

Insane? Yes, my brother is right.

"If only you were by my side then I will never turn into someone like this." After everything I went through, all the pain they caused me; this is only the result of what they did.

"Mother told me that she will do anything to forgive her, right?" I looked at him in the eye. "Then tell her to claim the dukedom and announce that Laurenze dukedom will support Prince Urus. Only then... I will consider her forgiveness." I turned my back and left my brother.

---

we may or may not close to the end but this story will have its book two and three.