16 - The rest of the family.

~𝑨 𝒇𝒂𝒎𝒊𝒍𝒚 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒃𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒆 𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝒆𝒙𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒐𝒔𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒎𝒆𝒂𝒏𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒐𝒇 𝒐𝒏𝒆'𝒔 𝒆𝒙𝒊𝒔𝒕𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒆. ~

******
Stacey politely collected the cup of cold water given to her but didn't touch it. Her mind was on the way her body had involuntarily shivered when Dylan's warm breath had touched her skin.

Trying to push the experience out of her mind, she took to studying the room she was in. Half of it was painted in white, the other side was filled with a half wall that housed shelves that added to its expensive simplicity while simultaneously demarcating the sitting area from the dining.

A gold drape with a white inner covered the only window in the dining room. It let in soft light that wasn't needed as a huge chandelier —one that looked like upside-down wine cups—stood overhead shining on every reflective surface and making every piece of jewelry sparkle.

A standing air-conditioner stood at the corner of the room, at another corner was the dispenser, and at another a white stand that held a coffee machine and stacks of cups. Right on top, overlooking the whole dining was a weird white clock that looked like a tree, with dark branches and roots that pointed to the twelve numbers.

Everything was either white, gold, or shining. The floor was mahogany and gleaming, just like the cream marble surface of the grand table, her hands were currently placed on.

A table where opposite her were Mike and his wife, Mel and her fiancee, and Mia and her husband, all of which were engaged in conversations with Dylan. The conversation she had tuned out of because of a reason she had forgotten now. She recalled Dylan's words and his mum popped into her mind.

She still hadn't met her.

Letting out a deep breath, she sipped from her cup, her eyes going over the bowl of fruits and bottles of wine on the table. She wasn't sure if they contained alcohol or not, and she didn't want to take chances. Hence, her cup of water.

"When is Emma coming in?" Mike asked as he poured himself another glass of wine."The kids haven't been down since lunch."

Popping a grape into her mouth, Mia glanced at the clock. "She didn't say. But maybe today. I think she's going to surprise the girls."

Mike leaned back into the comfortable cream chair, a glass of wine in hand. "Whatever her plans, I hope it's after dinner. "

Amber glanced at him. "Why's that?"

"Old Wick is going to sleep the dinner through and won't see her when she arrives."

"Dinner?" Dylan inquired, his eyes darting around the table. "But, it's just 6:15!" he exclaimed after a brief scanning of his watch. Then, his eyes widened as the time sank into his head. "6:15? What the—? How?"

He turned to Stacey. "But our flight wasn't long and we've been here not more than an hour."

"Some things are strange," Stacey whispered to him, a little disappointed she won't see Lord wickham till tomorrow. She ignored the way Dylan looked at her like the way one will look at a whale who just sprouted wings.

Confused, he was still muttering to himself about how much time had passed when Denzel walked in. "Dinner will be ready in five guys, no more appetizers."

Mike and Mel spoke up at once. "I don't think you have the right to tell us when to stop-"

"No more appetizers." Came an authoritative voice behind Denzel and instantly the hall became quiet, conversation hushed. Dylan's dad's face lit up and he shook his head lightly.