40 - The Backyard

~𝑾𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒓𝒖𝒏 𝒕𝒐 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒏𝒐𝒊𝒔𝒚, 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒏 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒘𝒐𝒓𝒍𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒔𝒖𝒇𝒇𝒐𝒄𝒂𝒕𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒘𝒂𝒏𝒕 𝒕𝒐 𝒃𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒉𝒆, 𝒘𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖 𝒂𝒓𝒆 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓𝒔𝒆𝒍𝒇 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒖𝒕 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒊𝒏𝒕 𝒊𝒔 𝒚𝒐𝒖𝒓 𝑺𝒂𝒇𝒆 𝑯𝒂𝒗𝒆𝒏.~

****

When people were faced with situations so shocking, their brain couldn't comprehend it, they usually took the easy way out by passing out.

Their brain just went, Nope, I'm out.

In other words, they fainted, collapsed, blacked out, became unconscious. So, Stacey followed that route and instantly spaced out.

Well, she thought she did. But it was apparent she did not. As she was still staring at the figure illuminated by the Amber light coming from the lamp pole.

She staggered to her feet, eyes wide, still hoping it was the side effect of the cannabis in her system, even though she had had a little dosage of the Cookies strain, its effect was lasting.

There was a possibility she could be seeing things.

The figure cocked their head to the side and the stick slipped through Stacey's fingers, as the name of the owner of those dark assessing eyes, tumbled out her mouth.

"Dareen."

"You might need to put that off. The aroma doesn't go away that easily and we need to be sober for this talk,'' she stated calmly, her hands folded gracefully in front of her before moving to seat on the chair alternate to Stacey. Still utterly shocked at Dareen's behaviour, Stacey mindlessly put out the joint and it was in the process of doing it, her skin brushed against snow.

To her, it felt like a small jolt of electricity because it was then her body became aware of where she was. She was at the backyard. Her hands were leaning on the silver chair that she and Dylan had sat on earlier today, where she and Wickham had spoken, where she had discovered when looking for the girls.

Her unconscious haven to seek help, to think, to come to herself.

"H-How did you f—?" she shook her head to clear her mind so it could take control of her tongue and work properly.

Dareen's eyes dropped to where Stacey was seating before. "You need to seat, dear." Her hazel eyes flickered to the joint that was partially submerged in the snow. "Judging by the scent that's GMO cookies, and it's effect could take a while."

Pressing her fingers into her closed eyelids, Stacey tried to get a sense of normalcy as she staggered to her seat. Were those her ears or did Dareen just identify what she was taking?

Groaning, she cradled her head and tried to make sense of things.

"Sit, Valiente," she murmured gently and Stacey let go of her head and laid it on the chair. "Look into the sky, fresh air will open up the capillaries and relax your lungs."

"How did you find me?" Stacey whispered into the night, her eyes on the thousand of twinkling stars, the air around her cold. The rhythm of her heartbeat was fast, she was still slightly scared Dareen had seen her in that state. But she just couldn't think of what to say or do to explain herself.

There was a short silence before Dareen's voice filled it. "You left the doors leading out open and," she paused and Stacey heard the shuffling of clothe, "I've noticed this is where you always come to alone and to be alone."