20 - Elastic Limit.

~ 𝑳𝒊𝒌𝒆 𝒂 𝒃𝒂𝒏𝒅, 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒖𝒎𝒂𝒏 𝒕𝒆𝒎𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒂𝒎𝒆𝒏𝒕, 𝒄𝒂𝒏 𝒐𝒏𝒍𝒚 𝒕𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒐 𝒎𝒖𝒄𝒉 𝒃𝒆𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒆 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒍𝒊𝒎𝒊𝒕 𝒐𝒇 𝒆𝒍𝒂𝒔𝒕𝒊𝒄𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒊𝒔 𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒄𝒉𝒆𝒅 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒊𝒕 𝒔𝒏𝒂𝒑𝒔~

*****
Dylan gazed out at the trees, his head in turmoil. His cheeks were aflame. He wasn't sure if it was because of the morning sun that warmed half his face or Stacey's statement at breakfast. It was nothing but a lapse in reasoning. He tightened his hands on the balcony rail when that word slammed into his head again like a brick, the same way it had when she dropped it.

What the heck? What annoyed him was the fact her statement affected him. He was the one looking for a reason and now he got it and he was freaking annoyed? Knowing that the peck was a mistake increased the anger boiling inside him. What did he even expect? That she had suddenly taken interest in him?

He scoffed and ran a hand through his hair."You messed up, guy. Big time." Closing his eyes, he tried to calm his breathing. Sounds of laughter drifted into his ears rousing his curiosity. On opening his eyes, he lowered his head to see Joanne and James, squirting water at each other from a toy gun while running around Wickham, who was holding a black cane and moving slowly, watching them with disinterest.

A smile crept up to his lips at the image. At least they were happy. Jamming his hands into his pockets, he turned around and walked back into his room. He didn't even know what he felt.

Stacey couldn't place how beautiful the feeling of the weight that had pressed on her consciousness like an Anchor felt when it was removed on seeing Wickham walk out. Their eyes had connected when he had stood up to go for a walk and the children had bounded after him. No words passed between them as he held her gaze for some seconds before tearing it away. She was so happy he could walk and she didn't need to keep it from the family.

Now it seemed the sense of peace she had was about to shatter. She could sense this was going to happen when Joanne and James had ran out to play, and the girls, Emerald and Jade, had been stopped by Emma, and Diane had watched them like a fox, bidding her time.

She understood why Emma had stopped them. They were still in their night dresses, so she had sent them up to freshen up before stepping out. What she didn't understand was why Diane was withering at them when they stepped down half an hour later.

"Mum, can we go now?" Emerald croaked out in a hoarse voice, her hands clasped together as she stood staring up at her mum dressed in a blue jumper and black sandals that had blue butterflies on them.

Emma who was seated cross-legged in a discussion with Raelynne turned to regard her with a worried expression. "Yes, just remember the drill." She reached out to massage Emerald's throat. "Does it still hurt?"

She nodded.

Emma frowned. "Don't scream or raise your voice at all, okay?"

"Yes, mum." She nodded eagerly waiting for her mother to give her permission. Jade who stood by her side looked up with eager eyes, her legs tapping in impatience. She was dressed up in yellow shorts and a black T-shirt.

Emma sighed and then waved them off. With loud giggles and slapping feet, they ran off. The instant the door shut, Diane spoke up from her position at the entryway of the Dining.

"Emma and you believe what you are doing makes sense?"

Everybody in the sitting room paused mid-action. Mia stopped munching on her fruit salad. Amber looked up from the pamphlet she was reading. Mike stopped scrolling through his phone. Raelynne muttered something under her breath, while Raegan's shoulder stiffened. Mel, who was curled beside Stacey on the couch watching Tv, froze before turning her attention to Diane.