34 - A New Arrival.

~𝑴𝒐𝒕𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒉𝒐𝒐𝒅 𝒊𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒈𝒓𝒆𝒂𝒕𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒉𝒂𝒓𝒅𝒆𝒔𝒕 𝒕𝒉𝒊𝒏𝒈~

*****
Stacey flinched as Mia's scream tore through the air for the she-didn't-even-know-what time that night. Midnight had struck an hour ago. The children were strewn on the couch in the upstairs sitting room taken by sleep after fighting it for hours.

Jane was pale, eyes tired as she ran a hand through the curls on Joanne's head that was placed on her lap.

Mel looked agitated, the tears in her eyes a contrast to the excitement in them hours ago when she had explained the uses of the phone tool she ordered. Despite herself, Stacey had realized that was what was in the package that arrived with she and Dylan on their first day here.

Thinking of package, her mind went to Wolf and in turn her eyes went to Ryle who was holding Mel tight, his face drawn. He was the one who had found Wolf unconscious, his leg badly twisted, shoulder dislocated and a bullet graze on his arm.

Emma had been the one to assess all this after confirming if Mia was okay after her announcement that her water had broken. It was such a relief that he hadn't been shot. The blizzard had picked up so no way they could get him to a hospital, same with Mia who was still able to talk because contractions had not hit.

Mia had argued that the blizzard was going to get worse. And she didn't want to be caught in a situation where she couldn't see what was going on and, God forbid, drive into a tree and have an accident. Unwillingly and worry filled, they had let her be and Emma and some of the others had helped to clean Wolf up and put him to bed rest.

Mia had given a wobbly smile while they were doing this and said she was fine, pacing. But that had changed. Drastically. As now, she had been screaming, the sound filled with more pain every passing hour.

The family's heads were either bowed in prayer or staring at the door, legs bobbing. Wind howled outside, trees shook and windows rattled constituting to the already nerve wrecking situation.

Ayaan was a bundle of nerves and unnamable emotions as he walked around, the movement catching Stacey's eyes every second as he ran a hand through his hair, and stared at the door of their room every time she screamed.

A dampening feeling settled in her gut for him. He had wanted to enter but Mia had refused, saying she didn't want him there. She had no idea why but suspected it might have had to with when Mia's mum entered.

She had been sent out minutes after, tear streaks on her white washed face, fingers trembling. From what Stacey had gathered, Amber had been sent out because she kept trembling and murmuring my sweet sweet daughter in tears making Mia nervous, thereby worsening the situation

Stacey sighed as she noted Amber was still shaking, her hands clutched to Mike who was praying and pacifying her.

This whole night was crazy.

Worse, they hadn't heard any news of the thieves and weren't even sure if the police caught them or not. Half of what they had stolen had fallen down and Diane had rushed and searched to see if her wrist watch was part. But the rays of luck didn't shine on her and she had whimpered.

Emotions were unruly and it was obvious in everyone's demeanor.

Leaning her head on the wall, she bunched up a knee and rested her elbow on it, her back on the cold wall. She was in between the sitting room and the curved passage, away from the family but her eyes taking in their every move. She thought of Dylan's absence and the night.

Dylan, your timing is beautiful.

At that moment, a pained-filled moan sounded and Stacey winced, curling her fist. Stacey noticed Kaylee curl tighter into herself at the corner of a couch like a pangolin when threatened.