[6]

Two miracles

Two miracles

"I have to say, your father and uncle are quite alike." Payback said to Phantom. "Oh indeed, they are both loud mouths but I got room to talk." Phantom said as everyone chuckled. Phantom saw the Admirals coming along with Maverick, "Andy's coming." Phantom muttered randomly loud enough for everyone to hear as she got to her seat, everyone chuckled softly. "I can't" Falcon said as she was settling down her giggles as the Admirals and Maverick came into the room.

"The uranium enrichment plant will be operational earlier than expected. Raw uranium will be delivered to the plant in ten days' time. As a result, the mission has moved up one week." Admiral Bates explained to everyone. Phantom and Phoenix looked at each other. "Shit." Ruby muttered. "Sir, no one here has successfully flown a low-level course." Coyote stated. "Nevertheless, you've been ordered to move on." Admiral Bates responded before Maverick took his spot up front.

"We have one week left to focus on phase two; it is the most difficult stage of the mission. It's a pop-up strike with a deep dive requiring nothing less than two consecutive miracles." Maverick said. A simulation appeared on the screen behind Maverick. It showed the inverted dive that two single and two double F-18s would be required to make to reach the target.

"Your target is an impact point less then three meters wide. The two-seat will mark the target with the laser bullseye. This will allow the single to drop a guided bomb into the reactor through an exposed ventilation hatch. This creates the opening the second pair. That's miracle number one. The second team will deliver the kill shot to destroy the target. That's miracle number two. If either team misses the target, the mission is a failure." Maverick explained.

The screen behind Maverick changed to display the required steep climb out of the mountain or as Maverick referred to it as Coffin Corner.

"A climb at that speed will have you pulling at least 8 Gs." Hangman guessed. "Nine, Minimum." Maverick responded. "The stress limit of an F-18 airframe is 7.5 Gs." Rooster noted.

"That is the accepted limit. To survive this mission, you will need to pull beyond that even if it means bending your airframe. You'll be pulling so hard, that you'll weigh close to two thousand pounds. Your skull will feel like it's crushing your spine and your lungs will implode like an elephant sitting on your chest, fighting with everything you have to keep from blacking out and this is where you'll be most vulnerable." Maverick explained. Phantom bit the inside of her cheek as she stared at the screen.

"Assuming you avoid crashing into this mountain. You'll climb straight into enemy radar while losing all airspeed. Within seconds, you'll be fired upon by enemy SAMs. It'll be a dogfight all the way home." Maverick explained as he pointed to screen.

"This is going to take you and your aircraft to a breaking point." Maverick added. "Sir, is this achievable?" Phoenix asked, this was on Phantom's mind as well. "The answer to that question will come down to the pilot in the box." Maverick responded to her.

"Pilots, prepare for take for take off. You've been briefed on phase two, time to give it run." Admiral Simpson said to from the back. Everyone headed to the locker room. "Don't worry Phantom, we so got this." Falcon said. "Yeah." Phantom said as she got her gear on.

...........

As Phoenix, Bob and Coyote was about to head out. Phantom arrived very quickly, with Falcon and Ruby behind her. Medics went to Falcon's plane. Phantom turned off her engine and hopped out her plane. "Phantom!" Hondo yelled as she stormed back inside. Phantom began to panic, as she was panicking, Rooster walked out and as soon he saw that she was hyperventilating, he ran over to her.

"Hey Hey Hey, you all are fine." He assured her. Tears began to slip down her face, "That was so fucking scary Rooster, watching Falcon go into G-LOC, she almost crashed and hearing Ruby screaming blood curly murder as she was helping Maverick and I to snap Falcon out of it, it fucking scare the shit out me." Phantom explained. Rooster wrapped his arms around her. "Follow me, let's go somewhere and calm you down." He said to her and she nodded then followed him

............

Phantom had her head rested on Rooster's shoulder as he rubbed her back as he was trying to keep her calm.  Maverick walked into the room He was in. "Phoenix and Bob are in the hospital, Few scratches and bruises but they'll be fine." Maverick informed Rooster. "That's good." Rooster said. He sniffed. "I've never lost anyone and I don't know if I could handle it." He explained. His voice was strained.

"Well you can rest now... both of you" Maverick said instead. He didn't know how to answer his question. "That's not what I meant." Rooster said couldn't believe what he was hearing. "You think it's so easy huh? You have no one to mourn you, that must be sad. No wife, no kids, no friends." Maverick sighed and said "Go home, get some rest you two." then Phantom lifted her head off of his shoulder as Rooster got on his feet and looked at him.

"Why did you pull my papers out of the academy!" Rooster yelled at him. "Huh?" Phantom asked "Rooster." Maverick said calmly. "You had no right!" Rooster growled through his teeth.. "You think you know anything about me?" Rooster then asked. Maverick looked at him sternly. "Oh I do." He said to Rooster. "Seeming that lately your anger has done nothing but make me understand why I did it! You aren't ready! I tell you why? You think too much! Don't think! because if you think up there, you're dead, believe me." Maverick explained to him. Then it hit Phantom, she wondered something too.

Phantom looked at Maverick. "Maverick... please tell me you didn't try to do it to me?" She questioned him. Rooster clenched his jaw waiting for Maverick to answer her. Maverick was silent, "Maverick... answer me." She said sternly. "Yes... but your father and uncle stopped it." He responded. She bit the inside of her cheek as tears threaten to spill out, she kicked the bench. "Why!" She shouted. "I understand, if you were wanting to protect Rooster and I but Maverick this is our dream and you can't stop us." Phantom said with anger. Then her and Maverick stared in silence before Rooster broke it.

"My dad believe in you, I'm not gonna make the same mistake." Rooster said to him.