[8]

This is for you, Momma

Phantom and Rooster showed up the morning, they both saw her uncle. "Don't take too long." He said as he pressed a kiss on the top of her head. "I won't." She said as she went to her uncle and Rooster went into the room. "Alright Uncle Fireball, what's the plan." Phantom asked

.........

"Captain Mitchell is no longer your instructor." Admiral Simpson announce to everyone. They all looked at each other. "As of today there are new mission parameters. Time to target: 4 minutes. You'll be entering the valley level at reduced speed, not to exceed 420 knots." Simpson explained to everyone which made everyone worry.

"Sir, won't we be giving their planes time to intercept?" Bob questions. "Well Lieutenant, you have a  fighting chance against enemy aircraft. what are the odds of surviving a head on collision with a mountain?" Simpson explained. "You'll be attacking your target from a higher altitude level with the north wall. It will be a little harder to keep your laser on target but you will avoid the high-G climb out.' He finishes. Then he notice there was someone missing. "Um Where is Phantom?" He asked everyone. Before anyone could answer, The radar picks up an F-18 flying on the track. "Who the hell is that?" He questioned.

"Phantom and Fireball to range control." Everyone eyes widen when they heard Phantom. "Holy shit." Falcon said. "Entering point L zone, Confirm green range." Phantom called out. "What the hell is she doing?" Payback said. "Well her uncle is her WSO or he's just joining so..." Ruby said. "He has something to do with this." Hondo said.

"Uhh Phantom and Fireball, Range control. Uh, Green range is confirmed but I don't see an event scheduled for you two?" Phantom sighed. "We're going anyways." Phantom called out. Everyone sits up in their chairs knowing what Phantom was about to do. 

"Setting time to target, two minutes and fifteen seconds." Phantom called out which caused her uncle's eyes widen. "What the... that wasn't plan." Her uncle called out. "It is now, just relax back there fossil." Phantom replied. "Oh not you too." He called out. 

Phantom thought her mom for a second. "You're not having seconds thoughts are you?" Fireball asked her. "No." Phantom said. "I can't turn back now, I have to try." Phantom added. "This is for you momma." Phantom muttered loud enough which Rooster heard her. "File attack point, Phantom and Fireball's inbound." They watched the countdown start as Phantom fly through the course. Twisting and turning through the valley. "Holy shit, I haven't felt this tension in a long time." Fireball said to Phantom as she goes through the course. "That's what happens when you haven't flown in while old man." Phantom said as she teased her uncle and she knew he was glaring at her. "I know damn well... did Hangman and Payback set you up for this because..." He said and she interrupted. "LEAVE THEM OUT OF IT!" Phantom exclaimed. They couldn't help but chuckle at them arguing while Simpson sternly stared at the screen.

With 35 seconds to target, she begins into the canyon. Everyone holds there breath as she begins getting a lock on target. Then she gets mark on target, locks it. "Bombs away." She calls out as she makes the climb. She felt like she was blacking out as she getting final mark on the target, everyone was on the edge of there seat, when she did, she went for it. She had successfully hits the target with sixteen seconds to spare. 

"Bullseye, Holy shit!" Fanboy exclaimed. Rooster was relieved. "Damn." Hangman said. Phantom relaxed and she called out, "Are you alright back there, Fireball?" She asked. "Damn... that was pure excitement, having felt like that in a long time." Fireball replied to his niece. "Maybe you should step back in." Phantom suggested. "It's a thought." Fireball said.

............

Fireball was called into Admiral Simpson's office after Phantom and him got back to base. When he got there, he saw Maverick was in there. "Well wasn't expecting you here." Fireball said to Maverick. Simpson looked at Fireball. "That stunt you pulled, could've cost Phantom." Simpson said and Fireball nodded. "But I was talking to Maverick here, since this was his way that she flew on the course. I was wondering if I could have your input on this." Simpson said.

Fireball looked at him. "Go on."  he said. "Maverick agree but Do you think Phantom is perfect choice for mission leader?" Simpson asked. Fireball was stunned. "I mean she is incredible pilot, not saying this because she is my niece but yes, she is a great choice." Fireball said. "Then it's settle, Maverick will announce it when he chooses who will be doing the mission but there is one thing you should know." Simpson said. Fireball looked at him, "This stunt you and phantom pulled off together... if Phantom is successful with this mission but regardless... how would you like to come back to teach at topgun.... becoming Admiral, before you left, you were pretty much close to being promoted." Simpson said. "Your niece is right when she talked about you, you were an incredible pilot." Bates added. Fireball smiled and said "I'll do it."

..........

"What the hell was you thinking?" Mallory said as they all hung out at Iris's house. "It was my uncle's idea and it work." Iris said. "But you gave lover boy here a heart attack." Claire said as she looked at Bradley. "I know." Iris said. "But we may be flying Maverick's way after all thanks to you both" Natasha said. "You and your uncle bickering back and forth,  but yet you stayed focus." Jake said. Iris shook her head, "Yeah well don't forget Seresin, I defend yours and Reuben's asses, you guys got to stop calling him old." Iris said as she chuckled. "Haha, don't act like we didn't hear your calling him an old man." Javy said. Iris was going to protest  but she stayed silent. "See!" Javy exclaimed as everyone laughed.

....

Bradley went out on the porch and Iris followed him. "I'm sorry for giving you a heart attack." Iris said and he hugged her. "It's fine, your uncle's plan worked." He said to her. She pulled away and looked at him. "Two days from now." Iris said as she looked at the sunset set. "I know, but we got this." He said to her. She smiled at him, she pressed her lips to his. He smiled at her as he held onto her as the watch the sun setting.