23

"Oh god this is awful." Willow complained as she was running around the Bahrain International Circuit.

"Oh come on. We've barely made it to turn 3." Oscar replied as he ran alongside her.

"That was a long start finish straight." Willow countered back as she slowed down to a light jog.

"Come on, only 12 more corners to go." Oscar said as he grabbed her arm to make her run again.

"This place is 5.4km long." Willow reminded the Alpine Reserve driver.

"You've got to drive it tomorrow." Oscar reminded her.

"That's different. I'll be sitting down then." Willow said as her feet bounced of the hard tarmac in the blazing Middle East heat.

"Better than doing a track walk." Oscar shrugged his shoulder in reply.

"How is this better? At least a track walk is a walk or even a cycle. And I've still got to do my track walk with the team later." Willow sighed in reply.

It was the weekend of the Bahrain Grand Prix also known as the 2022 Formula One world championship opener or Willow's first ever F1 weekend.

The official pre season testing had taken place last Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Willow had done okay. She wasn't particularly impressed with her pace but the team assured her it was good.

And now it was the Thursday of the Bahrain Grand Prix weekend which meant media and track walks with the team.

But for some reason Oscar had decided to drag Willow out of bed at 6am to run the track with him before they had to be at the track for 10am with their respective teams.

"Nearly there now." Oscar told her as they approached turn 11.

All of their talking and Willow's complaining had distracted her from thinking about the distance of the run and now they were nearly back at the pit lane.

"Can we walk now?" Willow asked with a pouting lip.

"Fine. We can walk." Oscar gave in as the pair slowed down and eventually began walking instead.

"Thank you." Willow smiled in reply.

"So, ready for your first F1 race?" Oscar wondered as the approached the pit lane entrance.

"No." The American shook her head in reply.

"You'll be fine Will." Oscar assured her.

"I know. It's just different than F2, isn't it? So many more people watching, so much more pressure." Willow explained with a sigh.

"That just means so many more people to impress." Oscar replied as he wrapped his arm around her shoulder. "Honestly Willow. You're gonna be fine. You wouldn't be here if you couldn't handle it."

"Thanks Oscar." Willow said wrapping her arm around his waist and giving it an affectionate squeeze.

"Now, race you back to the pit lane." Oscar spoke before taking off into a run.