Chapter VIII: Third time's a charm

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

I had just left the faculty office, my stay there was longer than I expected. All thanks to a clingy Chie-chan who didn't want to let me go, I didn't mind it though if I stayed any longer I'll be late to the entrance ceremony.

According to the schedule in the prints I received, I was going to be the last one to perform a speech so I kind of have some extra time. Before leaving I checked how much time I have left until the start of the entrance ceremony. Sadly it was less than five minutes, thus I kept myself walking at a steady pace.

I wasn't sure how much time had passed since I left the faculty office but I could guess that I still had a couple of minutes. Unfortunately the gymnasium was on the other side of the school, I had two options: either I ran there or I kept the pace I was walking and arrived late.

I would just have to enter there inconspicuously, everyone should be busy paying attention to the entrance ceremony so I should be fine. After giving some thought I decided just to take my time and enjoy the walk.

As I got closer to the gymnasium I noticed the lack of students, my hopes that I wasn't the only one late were crumbling. Taking into account the time it was I wasn't surprised, just as I thought I would need to sneak in. I was thinking of how I was going to do it when I saw someone standing next to the entrance.

It was a purple haired girl, she had her hair tied in two buns. Suddenly I understood the situation, she was waiting outside because she couldn't sneak in. Realization hit me like a bucket of cold water, I needed to find another entrance as soon as possible.

However before I could move the girl started approaching me, my curiosity was picked. Why was she approaching me? Did she want to talk to me? I supposed that it would be boring to wait alone. The closer she got the better I could look at her, she had pretty peach-brown eyes.

The moment our eyes met I felt a shock run through my body, at this point I wouldn't be surprised if it happened a fourth time. The girl in front of me had stopped in her tracks, it looked like she was trying her best to fight the blush forming in her face. It was amusing to watch her fail though.

After a couple of minutes she managed to calm down, she was trying her best to look angry. It was adorable, the scowl on her face would crumble every time. I was tempted to pat her head, sadly she spoke before I even tried to do it.

「Kouhai, you're late!」

I thought that she was a freshman like me but the way she had called me told me otherwise, she was either a second or third year student. I hoped that she was the first rather than the latter as it would mean I would have one more year to woo her though I would only do it if necessary.

「Hey! I'm...」

「Silence!」

Before I even could speak I was silenced, I wanted to sigh. I just wanted to get to know her a little better, I was just going to introduce myself you know. That was the easier way to get her name right?

Unfortunately it seemed that she was only business because she didn't speak a word and started to drag me to who knows where. I could feel her fingers try to intertwine with mine though she would stop every time I tried to reciprocate the gesture.

「Before you ask, I'm taking you to the gymnasium. You're late so we have to use the other entrance.」

I couldn't see what kind of face she was making but I had a feeling that she was frowning. I couldn't help but try to guess why, was it because she was tasked to wait for me or was it because I made her wait too long.

She gave me the vibe of an honor student thus neither of those seemed plausible, maybe it was because I was late. I may have made a bad first impression, just my luck. Thinking how to mend the situation I could only think of apologizing and hope for the best.