Chapter IX: One step forward, two steps back

Ayanokouji Kiyotaka's POV

I had just finished my speech, I think I did it well as I heard everyone kept clapping despite me leaving the stage. Immediately after I left a staff member made his way there to conclude the entrance ceremony.

I thought that was my clue to leave but I saw that my chaperone approached me again. She was smiling at me proudly, once again I was surprised by her change of attitude. I don't think I'll be able to handle her on my own, fortunately she was being accompanied by the student council president.

「Good job Ayanokouji.」

「The president is right, you did it well.」

「Thank you, I'll be going.」

It seemed that the student council president wanted to talk with me, sadly I only wanted to leave as soon as possible. I had the feeling that staying here any longer would be bad, unfortunately I couldn't even take a step when I was stopped again.

「Just where do you think you are going, kouhai?」

「I'm just going to my classroom.」

「Let's have a proper chat, shall we?」

I couldn't understand why we needed to talk, however my instincts were telling me to run. It would be bad manners to leave now but the way she was smiling didn't help at all. I looked at the student council president, hopefully he would understand my internal cry of help.

「Tachibana, that's enough.」

The familiarity he spoke made me think that they were close. Before she had called him by his title so I could make a close guess that she is part of the student council, also that would have explained her presence despite not performing a speech.

「What do you mean president? I've done nothing wrong. I was just planning to lecture him for being late.」

I couldn't believe how fast she changed, if before she had an obviously forced smile. Now she was smiling innocently like she means no harm plus the soft tone in her voice made it more believable.

「It's neither the time nor the place for that.」

「Horikita-kun as senpais is our job to guide our kouhais. Don't you think so?!」

The last part was emphasized in a way that made it difficult to disagree, it was cold yet sweet at the same time. Also the way she was looking at him made no room for arguments, for a moment I almost felt sorry for him.

「Just don't take too long.」

What a wise choice of words. Wait, that's bad news for me. There has to be someone else who could help. I tried to look but we were the only people left, it hasn't been even a couple of minutes. Did everyone know what was going to happen and flew away?

「Of course president!」

Again she gave that smile that made my heart skip a beat, maybe it won't be that bad. It was going to be my first time being scolded plus this would make us closer. I saw how the president left, I couldn't help but think: what a lucky guy. It seems that I had no choice but to listen, hopefully it won't take too long.

「Don't worry Ayanokouji by the time I'm done you'd think twice before being late again.」

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wasn't sure how much time had passed since my dear chaperone had started her "small" lecture, after all I stopped counting when I reached 1000. I didn't mind that much as she had a big smile plastered on her face by the time she finished, like it was the best day in her life. Did it feel good to lecture me? Was she feeling what they call a sense of fulfillment?