[ 00. prologue ]

| third person pov |

THE FAMILIAR ALARM of the Box blared across the Glade, a signal to the Gladers that their monthly supplies had arrived. It also told them that their new Greenie had arrived.

The large group of boys huddled around the Box as its metal doors opened, revealing a sweaty, dark haired boy looking up at them confused.

Gally took it upon himself to jump down into the Box, landing beside the new guy.

"Day one, Greenie. Rise and shine."

He pulled the boy up and lifted him out of the Box, throwing him onto the grassy floor.

"Kid looks like a Slopper to me." Someone said.

The Greenie looked up at the crowd of boys surrounding him. His eyes were wide and his arms shook as he tried to lift his body.

"I could use some help in the kitchen." Frypan said and a few other Gladers laughed.

The dark haired boy on the ground quickly clambered to his feet and started sprinting away.

"Oh!" The whole crowd stared.

"Hey, we got a runner!" Zart announced to the group and they watched as the Greenie ran, quite quickly, away from them. It didn't take long for the boy to collapse, tripping on air and rolling a few times.

The group of Gladers laughed as the greenie very slowly got to his feet.

"Watch it there, Greenie."

"Nice."

"Take it all in. You're gonna be here a long time."

The crowd of boys all whooped and clapped as the new guy panted, spinning around to examine the walls.

---

TWO GLADERS THREW the newbie in the pit and locked him in. The boy, too confused to do anything, just stood up and peered out the wooden bars.

Grass, farm animals, buildings, trees, boys, and those walls. Looming over everything, blocking them in.

"Hey."

The boy jumped and fell backwards, pressing his back against the dirt wall at the sudden sight of the guy in front of him.

Alby crouched down. "Hey there, Green Bean. You're not gonna run again, okay?"

The boy stared open-mouthed.

"Good."

Alby unlocked the door and crouched down again.

"My name is Alby." He introduced. "Now can you tell me anything about yourself? Who you are, where you came from? Anything at all?"

The dark haired boy shook his head and spoke softly. "No."

"Can you tell me your name?"

"No. I, uh-- I can't remember anything. Why can't I remember anything?"

"It's okay."

The Greenie started breathing heavier and looked down at the dirt ground.

"Hey, relax. Relax." Alby said calmly and the boy looked up. "It's normal. It happens to us all. You get your name back in a day or two. It's the one thing they let us keep."