[ 09. we escape ]

| y/n's pov |

THOMAS WAS AT the front of the group leading the way. It was strange running in such a large group, but it worked.

"Keep it up, guys. We're almost there." Thomas said as we approached the blades and just minutes later we were outside the tunnel leading to the Griever hole.

Thomas poked his head around the corner slightly.

"Is it a Griever?" Chuck asked him.

"Yeah." Thomas spoke and I could tell, despite his strong demeanour, he was terrified.

"You take this, Chuck. Stay behind us." Minho handed him the key from the Griever.

"It's okay. Just stick with me." Teresa smiled and tied up her hair.

"Once we're through, it'll activate and the door will open." Thomas explained. "All rift, we stay close, we stick together, we get through this. We get out now, or we die trying. Ready?"

I gripped my spear tightly and my machete seemed to grow heavier on my back.

"All right. Let's go!" Our whole group of Gladers went running down the bridge/tunnel towards the Griever yelling. The Griever started rushing at us too.

A few spears managed to pierce its blubbery body and push it back.

"Push it!" Thomas exclaimed. The Griever was so close to the edge now that if it took just one step backwards it would fall.

"Watch the tail!" Minho shouted as the tail swooped over our heads. A Glader, who's name I didn't know, was grabbed and sent flying off the edge.

Teresa slashed at one of the Griever's legs with her blade and managed to knock the key out of Chuck's hand and send it flying.

"The key!" He started running towards it.

"Chuck! Watch the edge!" Teresa yelled after him.

"Teresa, go after him!" I said, ramming my spear into the Griever's ugly face. She ran after him, but I couldn't see the outcome as I was too busy trying to knock the Griever off the side.

"Push! Push!"

We managed to send it down to the unknown depths beneath the stone path we stood on, but our happiness was short lived as two more Grievers climbed up from either side.

"Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck yelled, running towards us.

We let him and Teresa run past to the door while the rest of us tried to ward off the two monsters.

"Look out!"

"Keep it steady, guys."

There was a beep and the stone walls lifted up behind us.

"Guys, go ahead!" I yelled to Teresa and Chuck and they ran down the corridor.

"Don't back down. Keep pushing!" Minho shouted.

"Stay together. Stay together." Newt said as we started moving back closer to the door.

"Hold it back!"

Another Glader was grabbed by a Griever tail and thrown off the edge.

"Thomas! There's a code!" Teresa yelled from behind us. "Eight numbers!"

"Eight sections of the Maze." Thomas realised. "Hey, Minho, Y/N! What's the sequence?"

"What?" Minho asked from beside him.

"The sections of the Maze, what's the sequence?"

I went to answer, but a Griever's leg swiped at my arm. It cut through my skin and I let out a cry of pain.