[ 26. the return of an old friend ]

| third person pov |

"I'M IMPRESSED." JORGE spoke with a smile as he drove the truck out of the Crank infested tunnel he and Brenda just saved Thomas, Newt and Frypan from. "You guys almost lasted a whole day."

The three boys in the back adjusted into their seats.

Thomas pat Newt's chest. "You good?"

"Yeah."

Brenda turned around in her chair, stared at Thomas, and shook her head. Thomas chuckled a little.

"I'm sorry. I didn't wanna bring you guys into this."

Brenda rolled her eyes and looked to Jorge.

"Hey, I think what he's trying to say is thanks for saving us." Fry stuck his head in between Newt and Thomas.

"You're welcome." She faced the front of the car again.

"Hey, don't get your hopes up. That checkpoint back there, that was the city's last defense." Jorge gestured behind the car with his thumb. "If that was overrun, chances are the city is, too."

Newt looked out his side of the car. "Yeah, unless they figured out some other way to keep the Cranks out."

The other four all looked to their lefts and Jorge pulled the truck to a skidding stop.

Thomas and Newt quickly jumped out of the car while Fry stood up on the back. Jorge and Brenda followed, a little slower, and the five of them stared at the city in the distance.

The large, definitely not overrun, city that was surrounded by a very thick and very tall concrete wall.

"Funny..." Newt spoke. "Spent three years trapped behind walls, trying to break out... and now we wanna break back in."

"Yeah, it's hilarious." Fry agreed sarcastically from where he stood on the back of the truck.

"Jorge, how do we get in?" Thomas asked quickly.

"Don't look at me, hermano." Jorge pulled off his gloves. "Those walls are new. I guess that's WICKED's answer for everything."

"Well, we ain't gonna figure it out from up here." Brenda stated, her arms crossed. She headed back towards her side of the truck. "Let's go!"

Fry sat back down, and Jorge opened the driver's door again.

Thomas moved slowly closer to the edge of the hill, still staring at the city. He knew he had to get in those walls. He was desperate. He just wanted his friends back.

"You really think they're in there?" Newt asked, coming up to Thomas' side.

"I guess we'll find out."

"You know Teresa's gonna be there, too."

Thomas' jaw clenched and he looked back at Newt.

He hadn't really thought far enough into the plan to realize that.

He wasn't happy with Teresa at all. Actually, that was an understatement.