[ 20. our first party ]

| y/n's pov |

THOMAS, BRENDA AND I walk through the streets of what once was a city, and was now a shithole.

"Hey, you guys hear that?" Thomas asked, the faint sound of talking in the distance met my ears.

I glanced back to see Brenda was sat on the ground of the old alleyway.

"You all right?" I asked, crouching down beside her as she rolled up her pants leg.

Her bite from before was super deep and quite bloody.

"Shit." She muttered.

"Brenda..." I stared at her wound for a moment as she wrapped it before meeting her eyes.

"Yeah, yeah. I know."

I looked up at Thomas, whose expression matched mine,

"Let's just go find Marcus." She slipped her backpack over her shoulder and we both stood up.

When we walked out of the alleyway, we were met with actual people. Not Cranks trying to kill us.

These people seemed to be doing things normal for their everyday lives. Cooking food on a broken grill, digging through trash and walking around.

"Okay. Try to blend in." Brenda told us.

I caught a glimpse of a man and a young girl sitting next to each other and eating, and a flash of sadness passed through me.

It made me wonder. Maybe, if the world hadn't ended up like this, I would've had a family. A dad, a mom, maybe siblings.

We walked further down the debris covered roads, Thomas and I following Brenda through the city. Smoke billowed around from small fires and often blew into my face.

Soon we approached a large building that had heaps of people outside. There was indistinct chattering and some kind of faint thumping coming from inside.

My hand grew warm and I smiled softly. I looked at the boy to my side, who stared ahead of us, but held my hand tight.

"Hey, are you sure this is the place?" Thomas asked Brenda quietly.

"You here for the party?" A woman behind us asked, moving close.

"Uh, no. We're looking for Marcus. This is his place, isn't it?" Brenda answered.

"This is my place." We turned around again where a blonde man took a sip of his drink.

We took a few steps forward to approach him.

"Are you Marcus?" I asked, just wanting to see my friends again.

"Marcus doesn't live here anymore."

"Do you know where we can find him?" Brenda questioned.

"Sure, sure. He's over in Zone B." The man twisted a ring around his finger and I noticed the woman behind us running her hands over Thomas' shoulders. I felt my jaw clench and a feeling of both rage and sadness bubbled in my stomach.