[ 04. the last one ever ]

| y/n's pov |

ZART WAS THE first to see us as we rounded the corner towards the Maze door.

"Yeah! Yes!" Chuck exclaimed happily. "Yes! Yeah! Yeah!"

Thomas, Minho and I carried Alby together towards the Glade as the boys all crowded around the door.

"I got him, I got him, I got him." Jeff helped grab Alby and lie him on the ground.

"Watch out, watch out."

"What happened out there?" Fry asked.

"How'd you guys make it out?" Zart added.

I just sat on the ground and coughed.

"You saw a Griever?" Chuck asked.

"Yeah, I saw one." Thomas answered.

"He didn't just see it. He killed it." Minho told them and the group went quiet.

---

"THINGS ARE CHANGING." Gally said. We were all crowded in the Council Hall. "There's no denying."

Gally, Minho, Newt, Winston, Zart, Fry and I all stood in front of the other Gladers, Thomas sat behind us. I wasn't a Keeper, but since I was the only girl, I was allowed a say in meetings like this.

"First Ben gets stung in broad daylight, and then Alby." Gally went on. "And now our Greenie here has taken it upon himself to go into the Maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

"Yeah, but he saved Alby's life." Frypan reasoned.

"Did he?" I rolled my eyes at Gally as he went on. "For three years, we have coexisted with these things... and now you've killed one of them." Gally turned and pointed at Thomas. "Who knows what that could mean for us?"

"Well, what do you suggest we do?" Newt asked.

"He has to be punished." Gally stated.

"Woah, woah. Wait." Chuck protested with the other Gladers.

"Minho, Y/N." Newt grabbed our attention. "You two were there with him. What do you think?"

Every other Glader in the room was now staring at us.

Minho sighed. "I think... in all the time we've been here no one's ever killed a Griever before. When I turned tail and ran, this dumb shank stood behind to help Alby."

"I probably would've died in there if Thomas wasn't there." I admitted, looking back at him with a small smile. "I would've fallen off a cliff, but he saved me."

"Look, I don't know if he's brave or stupid." Minho continued. "But whatever it is, we need more of it. I say we make him a Runner."

"A Runner? What? Minho, let's not jump the gun here." Frypan said and Newt grinned as the other Gladers all burst into conversation.

"Thomas! Thomas! Thomas!" Chuck tried to get the others to join his chant, but they didn't.

"If you want to throw the Newbie a parade, that's fine. Go ahead." Gally snapped. "But if there is one thing I know about the Maze, it is that you do not--"