[ 34. epilogue - alternate ending ]

| third person pov |

THOMAS WOKE UP and everything around him was unfamiliar. He was in some kind of building that reminded him of the Med-Hut back at the Glade. He was lying on a makeshift bed and looked around at the thin walls.

As he sat up and swung his legs over the edge of the bed, he felt a sharp pain.

Thomas pulled up his shirt and saw the large bandage wrapped around his middle. Then all of his memories came rushing back.

The city, saving Y/N and Minho, Newt dying, Y/N dying, Ava Paige dying, getting caught by Janson, being shot, Janson dying, getting on the Berg, Teresa going down with the WICKED building.

Y/N was dead.

He had spent months trying to get her back, and it didn't even matter. She didn't make it out of the city.

After he was shot, Thomas was content with dying. He took what Minho had said to heart and decided he deserved it.

Thomas stood up and walked over to the doorway. He pushed past the thin material used as a door and walked through to find a beach.

The boat Vince had been fixing up sat not far from the shore and Thomas turned his head at the sound of chatter.

Huge tents were set up and a large group of people walked among them. Boxes were stacked around, and smoke came from a fire.

He was at the Safe Haven.

Thomas walked over, hoping to find someone he knew.

He walked down a small path and glanced at the face of every person he passed. These kids were chattering, laughing and going about their day.

Thomas struggled to grasp the idea that they were finally safe. It didn't feel right. He was so used to there being a threat, because it was all he could really remember.

He soon came to a stop when he saw Minho approaching him. The two stood a few feet away from each other and just stared.

Brenda, Frypan, Gally and the others stood around watching the two.

The two both stepped forward and wrapped their arms around each other in a tight hug.

After pulling apart, Thomas looked around at the group of his friends.

He had to hold back tears as he watched Minho, but his face contorted into one of confusion as Minho started smiling at something behind him.

"Thomas?"

Thomas's heartbeat sped up as he quickly spun around, not believing the voice he had just heard.

Y/N stood there. Alive.

She was standing up, alive and breathing.

She wasn't dead.

He couldn't believe it. He watched her die in his arms, he remembered her slipping away, he remembered when Minho found them.

Yet there she was. At the Safe Haven with them.

Thomas looked back at Minho for a split second before he ran up to her and wrapped his arms around her in a tight hug.

"Oh, my God." He mumbled into her shoulder as tears spilled from his eyes. "Oh, my God. Oh, my God. I thought I lost you. You... I thought..."

He pulled back, cupping the sides of her face in his hands and she held onto his shoulders for balance.

"So did I, Tommy," She cried, lifting one hand to wipe away her tears. "So did I."