[ 12. aris the vent boy ]

| y/n's pov |

THAT NIGHT, I couldn't sleep.

Every time I closed my eyes I saw the Grievers, or Gally and Chuck, or the Maze, or Alby, or any of our friends. So instead I just lied there staring at the empty bed above me.

There was a rustle of blankets from the bed across from mine, and Thomas walked over to the sink on the opposite side of the room. He turned on the light above the sink and washed his face before going back to his bed and lying down again.

After a few minutes of debating whether or not to say something, there was a rattling noise from near Thomas' bed.

"Psst. Hey. Down here." I sat up and Thomas leaned down to look under his bed. Whoever was down there shushed Thomas. I climbed out of my bed and leaned down to see the hoodie boy in the vent.

"Oh, my God." I whispered and Thomas almost fell off of his bed in surprise.

The boy in the vents waved me over. "Come on. Follow me."

"What?" Thomas looked from vent boy to me.

"Come on, Thomas." I gestured to the air duct and crawled under his bed. Thomas crawled in after me and we followed the kid in the hoodie around a few corners.

"Hurry, this way." Vent boy waved us over. "Come on."

It was a little awkward to be crawling through the vents, but the boy seemed to know what he was doing.

"Hey, wait a second. What the hell are you doing?" Thomas asked the boy.

"Come on, we're gonna miss it."

"What the hell are we doing, Y/N?" Thomas sighed and I shrugged. I don't know if he could see it though.

I turned a corner and there was the boy looking down through one of the vent door parts. I crawled over and peered down while Thomas came around the corner.

"What are we doing here?" Thomas whispered.

"Shh. Come here." The boy held a finger to his lips before waving him toward us. Thomas crawled over to join us. "Watch."

First came by Dr. Crawford, the doctor that was with Teresa earlier. She was followed by other people wheeling long hospital beds, except they had sheets over whatever bodies were under it and glass like covers over the heads with machines showing x-rays. Dr. Crawford used a key card to open a door and they took the beds into this mystery room.

"What the hell was that?" I asked, looking up at the vent boy.

"They bring in new ones every night like clockwork." He replied.

"You know what they do with them?" Thomas looked up from the floor below.

"I don't know. This is as far as I've ever gotten." Vent boy explained. "The vents don't even go into that section. But once they go through that door, they don't come back out. I don't think anybody ever really leaves this place."

I shivered and looked back down at the door.

"Come on. We gotta go before somebody notices we're gone."