[ 15. our first trip to the mall ]

| y/n's pov |

ONCE WE ALL made it to the bottom of the large hill of sand trailing from the windows down to the ground level of the building, Minho pulled a flashlight out of his stolen backpack and switched it on.

"Where the hell are we?" He asked after looking around.

"We gotta go." Thomas immediately started moving. "We gotta keep moving."

"No. Thomas, stop!" He looked back at Teresa and stopped walking. "Tell me what's going on."

"It's WICKED." Thomas said, coming back over to the group. "It's WICKED. They lied to us. We never escaped. Me, Y/N and Aris, we found bodies. Too many to count."

Teresa looked at me for confirmation and I nodded.

"What do you mean? Dead bodies?" Minho looked at Thomas in shock.

"No, but they weren't alive either." Thomas began explaining. "They had them strung up. With tubes coming out of them. They were being... They were being drained. There's something inside of us that WICKED wants. Something in our blood. So we have to get as far away from them as possible."

"Okay. So, what's the plan?" Newt asked and Thomas didn't answer. "You do have a plan, right?"

"Yeah. I don't know."

"Well, we followed you out here, Thomas, and now you're saying that you have no idea where we're going or what we're doing."

"Wait. Janson said something about people hiding in the mountains." Aris spoke up. "Some kind of resistance or army."

"The Right Arm." I recalled the name and Aris nodded.

"The Right Arm." Thomas agreed. "If they're really against WICKED, maybe they can help us."

"People. In the mountains. Mountain people. That's your plan?" Newt had one hand resting on his hip and he looked at Thomas skeptically.

"It's the only chance we have."

"Hey, guys." Winston got our attention. He was crouched near the ground just behind us. "Check this out. Minho, give me a light."

With the flashlight, we could see footprints clearly on the sand.

"Someone's been down here." Winston pointed as the prints went on.

We took that as a sign to explore.

Minho looked through the plastic roller door that closed off a store. "Come on. Open up."

Our group all walked into the store. Frypan found one of those lantern flashlights and switched it on. Newt handed Teresa and I much smaller handheld flashlights before turning his own on.

"Looks like people lived here." Minho said, picking up a jacket.

"Where are they now?" Asked Newt.

"Let's pack some of this stuff up." Thomas said, pulling on a jacket he found. "Anything you think you might need. We'll split up, see what else we can find. Meet back here."

"Wait, Thomas." Newt tossed him a flashlight.

"Let's go." He said to Minho and the two walked out.

I went with Teresa and we looked around at all the old, dusty, makeshift beds on the floor. Teresa gasped beside me and I realised she got scared by a mannequin.

"You all right?" Newt called out.

"I'm fine." She replied.

There was a pile of clothes just nearby us and I pat her arm.