[ 31. i'm not fast enough ]

| y/n's pov |

MY FIRST THOUGHT was that I really did not think it through.

Running through a city I'd never been in before, barefoot, while a literal war is going on around me to get a serum from people I haven't seen in a year from a place I don't even know.

But I was doing it for Newt.

He always helped me over the past few years and I had to return the favour.

I had almost lost my friend once, and I didn't want it to happen again.

My feet stepped over pieces of shattered glass, discarded bullet shells, and broken rubble. It hurt, but I pushed through, the adrenaline running through my body helping the pain be easily ignored.

"Turn here!" Gally yelled, pointing ahead and I saw Minho beside him picking up a gun of his own.

"Thomas?" Teresa's voice crackled overhead in an echo. "Can you hear me? I need you to listen to me. I know you have no reason to trust me... but I need you to come back."

I pushed even farther as I ran, a few bullets flying into the wall and only just missing me.

"Thomas, you can save Newt. There's still time for him. There's a reason Brenda isn't sick anymore. It's your blood. Do you understand? She isn't sick because... because you cured her."

I shook my head a little while my legs pumped back and forth. Of course it's him.

"She doesn't have to be the only one. All you have to do is come back. And this will all finally be over."

I looked back at Gally to make sure I was running the right way.

"Please. I know you'll do the right..."

It cut out and I silently cheered. Teresa was not in my good books, and hadn't been since the Right Arm.

"Up here!" Gally pointed at a ramp and I ran as fast as my legs would go to get to the top.

There sat the Berg with the back door open. Brenda and Jorge stood there.

"Brenda!" I called out to her and she looked up. "Where's the serum?"

Instead of giving it to me, Brenda took it upon herself and started running.

"Brenda!" I yelled, chasing after her. Minho, Gally and now Frypan were all behind me.

While the boys ducked behind a car to avoid gunfire, I continued to follow Brenda. I had to make sure that serum got to Newt.

"Brenda!" I kept on pushing past my limit.

She stopped running almost directly in front of me, and I bumped into her back.

"Bren--" My voice seemed to disappear at that very moment.

Thomas looked up at where Brenda and I stood. Newt lay on the floor in front of him, and he wasn't moving.

There was a knife stuck in his chest, and I could tell by Thomas's face that he was dead.

I pushed past Brenda, staring down at Newt. I had known him for almost as long as I could remember. He only got to the Glade a few months after I did.

And now he was dead.

"Newt..."

I wasn't fast enough. Brenda wasn't fast enough. We didn't make it in time.

Thomas staggered to his feet and picked up his gun that looked like it had been discarded on the floor.

The other three boys ran up behind us and all came to a slow when they saw Newt.

Thomas gave me one last look before walking away, the gun gripped tightly in his hand.

Minho and Fry both dropped to their knees in front of Newt, and I felt the adrenaline rush fade away and what was a dull ache in my stomach before, became a stinging pain.

I looked down at my shirt and saw the hole in my dark blue shirt, and the even darker patch that grew in the middle of my stomach. I caught a glimpse of red and my heart dropped. I quickly placed my hand over it.

"I'm going after Thomas." I said quietly, giving my friends one last look before I ran in the direction he had just left.

They didn't even look at me. They were all staring at Newt.

super short chapter but we're so so close to the end