Chapter four

Shrouded in darkness

Ummi's POV

I was feeling unfortunate as I woke up panting in a cold sweat. Yet again, I wasn't free from the nightmares that plagued my each night. "Shadow is quiet something" I mumbled to myself. Nevertheless, I stood up, recited some adkars and prayed. I had plans to not get any malicious vibes today as Umaima will be coming for a sleep over, I want to be a good host, it's been a while a friend visits! Not like I have buddies, I have always craved being in my space, I don't like people at all "it sounds harsh but that's the reality for me, I hate people around, it's not societal anxiety though just my introverted personality, it's an ideology only I understand, nobody else seems to, not even Umaima" I found myself letting out "enough of the talking, let me get into the kichten" I went into the kitchen and met mom right there "Good morning, ma" I greeted while she answered almost immediately "morning darling, how was your sleep?" she asked, I was a bit skeptical to answer because I didn't want to worry her, I have seen how sad she has been lately because of me "uhmm Alhamdulillah I'm fine" I smiled fiddling on my fingers and she replied "suree? I am happy to hear that" she said while I just let out another smile "Umaima will be coming for a sleep over, I want to make some snacks board for us" I told her "oh nice, that's good to hear, aahh that means we won't sleep in this house today o, last time you girls spent the entire night gisting about God knows what and ended up sleeping the entire morning, I had to do all the chores by myself!" my mom reminisced over the past as she spin me with her gaze, I laughed and said "don't worry, it won't repeat itself mom" she fluttered while she continued with the breakfast "oh before I forget, take your medicine before eating, let's go" mom said dropping the oatmeal can "oh God! I forgot about that totally, I can't believe I have to keep on taking this concoction for a week" I cried out "it will soon be over, endure this for now, come with me" mom insisted but I refused to move an inch, then she grab me by my hands and drag me to the living room, she brought out the bottle of concoction while I whined "mom i swear if I take this,I will be so weak and I won't be able to make the snacks board, and you see Umaima will be here in a few hours, I don't want her to see me in this ailment, I haven't even been able to tell her what has happened to me lately, I still feel a little out of space, mom please let's skip this for today, I promise I will take it tomorrow" I kept pleading and hurling excuses but mom being mom she wouldn't even listen and fed me the concoction, I cried like a tot while Samirah made jokes out of it "you keep behaving like a baby, can't believe you are crying because of this small medicine, cry cry baby" she chuckled as she handed over some black chocolates to me "you think this concoction is that manageable right?, come and have a taste then" I said while greedily collecting the black chocolates to soothe my throat but before I could take any, I felt a force hit on my head, suddenly my eyes turned ruddy, before realising anything I blacked out....

All I saw was darkness, trapped in my own mind, I felt vulnerable yet peaceful. I couldn't get a peek of what was wrong, was anything wrong? I couldn't even comprehend as I was basking in darkness, plunged into my own fantasies...i felt quiet heat up at the same time it was stiff, everything was more like a dream in a shed, "it can't be shadow again, can it?" a voice echoed, well it sounded more like my voice but I didn't move my lips so...?" I asked myself, without expecting any explanation,I further mumbled "this can only be shadow luring me into his stupid world...i need to fight this, I can't loose just yet, I wanted to recite some adkars but I was taken aback, it was more like my lips were tight, I couldn't say a word out loud, It was more like I was clipped to my marbles, I struggled through the darkness in the shed, I was fighting against the shadow that clouded my sanity, I didn't know how long it took, but I wasn't giving up, it was strenuous and seems forever to get out of the shed but I was trying, just then I began to hear sounds, and it didn't sound like I was underwater or something. I was beginning to get feeling in my legs, so I tried to jiggle my toes and I heard a gasp. "Guess that works!" I whispered to myself. So I continued to fight towards the surface of the darkness, I was able to blink my eyes then, and I got a peek of few faces (mom, dad, mallam Sadeeq, Umaima and Samira)

"She is awake" Umaima said almost immediately, I was shocked to see her but but at the moment I wasn't in the right state of mind to even interpret what had happened, it is better I asked "what happened to me?" I asked under my breath "you had another episode!" my mom responded "how are you feeling?" dad asked "I am fine, only feel a bit uneasy, dad I thought you were at work. When did you get back?" I asked like it was important. "You were sick, I had to come back home"he replied and I felt a bit guilty "don't be hard on yourself, it wasn't a drawback, it'a the situation " Samira comforted me while Umaima glanced at me with pity "Alhamdulillah she is back to normal, things like this will often occur, be steadfast in your faith and we shall win every single time" mallam Sadiq finally said while everyone nodded in agreement...he further asked me to rest he took his leave.

"What would you like to have?" Umaima asked coming closer to me "what did you bring for me?" I asked rolling my eyes at her "your favorite chocolate cream?" She said smiling "I will have that then" I grinned at her "you can't be serious, heard you haven't had a proper meal since this morning, mom made some oatmeal and cranberries, care for some? Umaima sounded just like a big sister right now "what's with the big sister vibes? Shift jor" I teased her, she let out a wide smile "I am your older sister ai, a month older than you lil sis" she taunted, she knew I hated to admit she is older yet she did "you think?" I smirked while she went into the kitchen and returned with a tray of oatmeal and cranberries with some honey cheese "jeez, I didn't realise I was hungry until I saw this!" I hungrily said and greedily munched on it while Umaima kept staring "I think I got the memo now, this girl wants to say something!" I thought to myself "what is it?" I asked her and the girl started whimpering. "What is it?" I asked again this time around I was a little scared at what would have upset her this much "I can't believe you have been going through this bad phase in your life yet I wasn't there for you, I could have spend more time here, going through it all with you, I could have been your shoulder, I could have cried with you and hold you tight during your nights, I feel terribly guilty Ummi, I pity you and everything you had gone through, I know how appalling you must have felt" she said in between sobs and remorsefulness, I didn't know when I also started crying while she hugged me tightly and ask me to "let it out, show your vulnerability, I'm here with you, I will be here" she responded with her eyes full of tears....

       Husna Saleh;
Assalamu alaikum lovelies🥰 how are you'll doing? I was suppose to update yesterday but I had to do some little edits😁i hope you don't mind? Am getting low reads pls invite your friends to read this book🥹🙏
I love this chapter in particular, I got emotional at some point. I didn't tell you guys, but this whole story has alots to do with me🥹. Pls don't read without voting, sharing and commenting they mean a lot to me🥹🙏
Love from Hussal🥰❤️