Chapter ten

My ailment;
•••

Ahmad's POV

"I love Ummi, mom. I love her for the sake of Allah. I know it's been about three months since we met, but... she has made life so beautiful, and I want to be the man for her. I have noble intentions toward her. I want to treat her right just the way I would like my sisters to be treated right by their husbands," I passionately confessed my love for Ummi to my mom.

I could see mom's eyes bristle with tears. She melted (finally, her baby boy has grown up), then I sighed, "mom, I promise, she is a perfect lady. You would definitely love her," I further assured. "You are a good man Amir. Remember the verse where Allah said, Good men are for Good women, and Good women are for Good men. I'm rest assured. She is a good woman because you are a good man, a son every mother wishes she has. Alhamdulillah, Allah found me worthy to be blessed with a son like you! Go for her, my darling son. Follow your heart. May Allah bless you with the best, and if she is the woman for you, then I pray to Allah to join you both in goodness," mom prayed, and I hugged her.

Ummi's POV

It's been two days, and I have been struggling with schoolwork, together with my health issues. "Life hasn't been easy," I must say. Sometimes, I feel as if there is intense energy moving around me. Other times, I feel a dark mysticism stroke within me. It is only right to think I'm going insane, but no one wants to believe that. Not to think of the nights I would practically wail in my sleep, scrub the bed sheets, and wake up with red eyeballs, "what is happening to me?" I would say in great despair.

In school
After the first lecture, it was barely afternoon. Something happened earlier in class. I felt alienated from others, and even throughout the lectures, I was lost in my little weird thoughts. The lecturer noticed and asked me a question, but I was dumbfounded. I haven't been listening to him! It appears what has been happening in my life is gradually changing me into a whole different person, agreed I have always been reserved and cheerful. My friends were beginning to notice my sudden change in mood and energy. "First time in history. Were you really lost in class? Tell us, what's wrong?" Asmau, the most caring among my friends, asked, but I stayed mute. "Come on, Ummi, you can tell us anything," Deen reassured. But at this point, I felt a massive force within me. I was calling out for help, yet no one responded. My vision became hazy, and my body became limbic. I was slowly losing my balance. I tried holding on to Zully's hands since she was closer to me but everything went blank afterward.

**************************************************
I felt an arm around me, causing me to shake my hand, and I tried opening my eyes slowly but steadily. I got a peek at a few faces around me. It was mom, Asmau, and Samira. I managed to say, "what happened? I'm home?'' Looking around, I realized I was indeed home. "Asmau, why are you here? Where are the others? Shouldn't we be in school?" I further asked "you were brought back home, had quite a scary episode at school!" Asmau calmly said, "whatttt?? At school?" I rose from the bed immediately, looking confused.

"How are you feeling?" Mom asked, "I'm fine, but seriously, it happened in school?" I asked again with an immense feeling of humiliation "it wasn't so crowded, just the team and a few students from the site," Asmau tried to explain, "but it happened in school! Rumors spread faster! Goodness, I'm done for!" I exclaimed while Samira passed a cup of milk to me, I gulped in some, and she asked me to calm down, and I did. "It's fine, my dear, it is fine!" mom assured me while I laid back on my bed "you don't have to feel embarrassed. I knew about it already. Mom informed me a week back that she needed someone to look after you in school and also someone to call home whenever anything comes up, so with that, it was easier to notify her when you started acting not funny," Asmau explained making signals with her hands ''I'm sorry for informing them without telling you first. I knew you wouldn't tell them about it, you are always so secluded, but someone needed to keep an eye on you at school. You always think you are okay, even when you are not," mom added. "It is okay, mom, thank you so very much," I softly let out and wiped off the tears on my face. "Where are others?" I asked. "they left not quite long ago. Remember they have some research to do regarding the project?" Asmau said, and I nodded.