Chapter twelve

Unedited!!!
She'll be fine;

••
Ummi's POV

His voice came from a distance as he gently asked, "are you okay?" That was the last thing I heard before I blanked out.
I was unconscious for about an hour before I regained consciousness. I struggled to open my eyes. It was hot, painful, and heavy. I bet they were reddish too. I felt sore all over my body. My body hurts. It was as if I had just finished fighting with beasts. The way I feel my legs, I bet I would limb once I try to walk.

"What happened to me?" my lips tirelessly stretched out a question as I glanced at dad, mom, Samira, and Ahmad all surrounding me. "She is awake!" Ahmad excitedly muttered and took a long stare at me, like something bad had happened. Just then, I realized he was all sweaty and wondered what would have happened. "You had an episode!" Samira answered like she could hear my heart throwing questions at what had happened. Instantly, I felt like my heart had stopped beating. It had paused for me to get myself together. A feeling of sadness engulfed me, and I became teary.

"How bad was it?" I asked with a throaty voice, resting my back on the couch "you don't have to worry, Alhamdulillah, you are back to your normal self. It's well, my dear," Dad comforted me, but I insisted on knowing what happened. The shadow asked Ahmad to leave you and threatened him. It was a massive one this time around, a massive struggle. You wouldn't wanna imagine what transpired between them, remember he says he likes you too, wa nauzubillah Minna shaytani rajeem ( and we seek for protection from shaytan and evil-doers)!" Samira announced, and I turned to look at Ahmad with guilt captured on my face.

"You don't have to worry, it is fine. I'm here!" Ahmad voiced out, trying to be assuring, but all I feel is guilt eating me up. He must have gone through a lot, seeing how sweaty and pale he looked "if not for Ahmad's presence, by Allah, I don't know what would have happened to you!" Mom said amidst tears. I could see how she was fighting her tears back in "it is nothing, ma, it is all by Allah's help," Ahmad replied, and just from seeing the whole mood and how shabby everywhere looked, I knew today's episode was more unfortunate than ever.

I was fed my usual bitter medicine, and Ahmad recited some holy verses on me, after which I ate my dinner because I felt totally empty. Then I took my bath, and I was asked to pray and sleep. It was already late, about 10 pm. Ahmad left and told me to be steadfast in prayers which I answered, "in shaa Allah."

I was preparing to go to bed and wanted a great night's rest, just as instructed by Ahmad. I laid on my bed, brought the duvet close to my shoulder, and closed my eyes, but all that replayed in my head was what had happened, "this evening was sure a long and sad one," I thought but recalled that Ahmad was there with me, side by side, helped and saw me through it, was even more relieving for me.

"Alhamdulillah, I have found him," I murmured to myself in great satisfaction. I couldn't help but smile, and slowly, sleep started making me drowsy. I had to give in to the amazing call of mother nature, having it in mind that, with this beautiful thought about Ahmad, I'm sure even shadow wouldn't be able to disrupt my sleep. This night is going to be an amazing one.

************The next morning***************

Ahmad's POV

I woke up this morning feeling a severe headache threatening to split my head. "What's with this headache?" I said, trying to recall when last I had this kind of pain, barely two months back, that was after the seminar, and that was because of the stress we went through organizing such a massive seminar with a great turn up, "Alhamdulillah it was a success" I thought. I stretched my hand towards the drawer and brought out some pills that helped relieve my headache.

Then, the thoughts of Ummi came running into my mind. I instantly put her on a call, but she didn't pick up. I panicked, wishing all was well with her. Yet again, I find myself beaming with a soft expression plastered on my face. It was from the thoughts of Ummita. She is such a wonderful, beautiful, and down-to-earth soul. I would have sworn her life was perfect from how she could mask her emotions with a smile if I hadn't known there was a deep pain in her heart, this dark beast she was battling. From these thoughts, I could only feel something within me expanding, and that's the love for Ummi, increasing nonetheless.