4

Tron grabbed a glass of tequila from the bartender. It was part of his preparation for his performance. He had to get a little lit before he started singing on stage. The club was packed and people were excited to see the local talent. 

He was inspired because of this woman he had met earlier at the restaurant, too. He was going to show up and show out. Not just for the pretty ladies coming in, but for her. Her name was Rin Thomas and she was a poet/after school program consultant. He thought her down-to-earthiness personality was something different. The thing was, he wasn't sure if he just wanted to fuck or pursue her. 

He looked around the crowd for her, but of course, that thing only happened in movies. Maybe when he got on the stage, he would see her. That also only happened in film. Moments like that were too surreal. If he saw her tonight, it would be fate. He thought to himself, Lord, if she's for me, she would stand out in the crowd. 

Vegas sat beside him at the bar with a bottle of Corona. He had on a silk durag to protect his waves since the club was so humid. The AC was bust, but everyone still was lit and still getting more lit as the night progressed. "You think shawty and her homegirl coming?" 

"They should. They sounded down," Tron answered, eyeing a singer on the stage. She was beautiful with faux locs hitting her hips and a waist bead. Damn. It must have been all that Solange and Erykah he had been listening to for the past week. Usually, he would go for the Instagram model types. This time around, he was focused on something else. That woman, Rin, had changed him after just an hour of them talking. "You think a club like this would be their scene?" 

"The yogi lookin one looked like she was all in. Her friend looked so distracted and was on the phone the whole time." 

"Ain't she say something about a basketball nigga earlier?" 

Vegas sighed, nursing his beer. "Yeah." 

"You got bit by the love bug, too?" 

Vegas smiled. 

"Look at them pearly whites, boy. You think she bad, don't you. Rin's friend look like she high maintenance, bro. You better be careful." Tron put his arm around Vegas. "Women like that are crazy. She would eat you alive." 

"I like bad ass women, Tron. She was quiet and unapproachable...I don't know why that turned me on so much." 

"I don't know, man. But, listen to me. I dealt with plenty of women before." Tron and Vegas both laughed. "I think it's time I retire my jersey real quick. Rin could be the one." 

"Nigga, what?" Vegas laughed. "What makes you say that?" 

"She made me think about what it would be like to be a one woman man." 

Vegas laughed again. "Whatever was in your blunt this morning, I'm gonna need some. If I see Raj tonight, I need your confidence. I feel like I gotta pull a you to get her." 

"Nah, man. Be yourself," Tron said. "She don't need a playboy nigga. She's dealt with that enough with that Zayde nigga. She needs a good dude. If you pursue her, you gotta just be authentic. She'd appreciate that more than slick game." 

"And you with Rin?" 

"I gotta take a page out of your book, real quick." Tron smiled, thinking about Rin with her two ponytails and head scarf. He was smitten and he hated the feeling. It felt good. Unlearning toxic behaviors was going to be tough. 

"Well, nigga. You're up. You gonna pull a Love Jones for her?" 

"I hope she shows up." Tron stood, butterflies in his stomach. What the fuck was this feeling? He rolled his shoulders back, mustering up his persona. "Alright. I'm gonna knock these 2 songs out. Hopefully, we walk out with rent money." 

"You gonna do good. I know it." 

Tron was a little unsure. He always felt a sense of stage fright before getting on stage. But, that was Jeremiah. The boy whose mother forced him to sing at churches because she knew her baby had a voice. "Go on, little Jeremiah," she would say. He would shake and charm the whole congregation. Now, he sang for himself and not just for the Lord. He started going by his middle name because he thought it brought forth some appeal. Plus, Tron was more braver than Jeremiah ever could be. When he got on the mic, Jeremiah was nowhere to be found. It was Tron. Just like when he spoke to ladies, he was Tron. Jeremiah and Vegas were one in the same growing up. But, then, Tron found his true voice and his ability with the pen. 

Tron stood at the mic, looking around for Rin, remembering that deal he made with God. Tell me she's here, he said in his head. He held the mic. "How y'all doing tonight?" 

The crowd responded in positive affirmation. Women were staring at him with interest. He smiled helplessly. It was his weakness. But, there she was. The woman who caught his eye earlier that day. She was wearing a sundress and her hair was braided into a ponytail. He winked at her. "I would like to dedicate this to, the lady I met earlier and served a tequila sunrise to." 

Then he opened his mouth to belt. 

He kept his eyes on her the whole set. When he got off stage, he grabbed a bottle of water from the waitress. She was about to ask for his number, but Rin walked up to him. He grabbed her hand and planted a delicate kiss to her knuckles. "You're the most beautiful girl I ever seen, Miss Rin Thomas." 

Rin giggled. "Thank you. You have a beautiful voice." 

"Thank you," he said. "Your homegirl made it?" 

"You won't believe this. But, Zayde and her are here. They're in the VIP. She ditched me and won't answer her phone." Rin played with her wooden bangles on her wrist. "I don't mean to fuck up the vibe, but I am worried." 

"I can access the VIP section and check on her," he lied. Tron was damn sure the security didn't give a fuck if he was one of the best performers there that night. But, he wanted to make sure Rin's friend was cool. "Give me a second." 

Vegas appeared amidst the crowd. "Yo, bro. You killed it." 

"Man, we gonna hit the VIP. Check on Rin's friend Raja. She here." 

Vegas' eyes lit up like a Christmas tree. "Really?" 

"Yeah." Tron took Rin's hand and led her to the back of the club. The bouncer looked intimidating, but it didn't move Tron. He decided to use his charm to sway him. "What's up, brother. My lady and my brotha here just wanted to go to the VIP section to celebrate my performance." 

The bouncer mugged everyone and folded his arms against his chest. "Y'all ain't getting back here without a wristband." 

"Look, bro. We just want a drink-" Vegas tried. 

"Nah. Don't try that nice guy shit with me. I'll whoop ya ass in the lot right now." The bouncer checked the section behind the door before closing it. "We got some critical clientele in there and it wouldn't be fly if we let some no name ass nigga back here." 

"Fuck you too," Tron said. 

Rin rolled her eyes. "So much for 'I can get you into VIP'. I hope Raj's cool. I don't trust that Zayde nigga." 

The bouncer sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose. "Zayde Ross is back there and he got two girls fighting over him. That's the only reason why y'all can't go back there. We tryna calm the situation down." 

Tron swallowed in stress. Vegas shook his head. "Nah, man. This girl is her friend. You gotta let us back there to help." 

"No-" 

"Please," Rin snapped. Her calm demeanor snapped. "We only gonna help the situation. I know how to help my homegirl." 

The bouncer shrugged. "I believe you. But, I ain't letting these niggas back there-" 

"Let them." Rin turned to Tron and Vegas. "Come on, y'all." 

Tron followed her into the section with Vegas. He wasn't sure what he was getting himself into, but he automatically trusted Rin. He appreciated her energy and desire to help her friend. He saw Zayde Ross just laughing and was automatically in the mood to punch him in his mitt. He didn't care. Raja was pulling a girl by her hair. Before Tron could go up, Vegas was already there, since he was the only one who could size up Zayde's tall stature.