12

Rin met Twyla years ago in her junior year of high school. They started their relationship within two weeks of knowing one another due to the fact that it felt like a fairy tale. Rin was dealing with her father's new wife who felt like an evil stepmother. Her stepsisters were complete assholes to her. Home did not feel like home anymore. She would idealize Moesha, hoping that one day her stepmother would turn into a sweet mother figure. It never happened. 

Twyla came to school late on her motorbike, blasting Meek Mill. She claimed that she was from Philly, but only lived there for middle school since she was sent there by her own parents due to her out of control behavior. Rin was her tutor buddy to get her grades up so that she could progress in her studies. They became friends and then lovers. 

Twyla was Rin's first everything. First love, first body. She had her realize that love was not just in gender, but in experience. Being with Twyla humbled her. Raja initially did not like Twyla for Rin because she was too hood for a girl like Rin. It wasn't until she noticed that Twyla helped Rin stop being so obnoxiously stuck, she gained respect for her. 

Being on the back of that motorbike never felt so freeing. As Twyla used to pop wheelies, did tricks and everything. It made Rin forget about the stresses of being home and getting straight A's to get the hell out of their city. But, when Twyla started slanging drugs and almost got caught, Rin stopped seeing her toward the end of their senior year so she could get into college. Dating someone like that would have broken her reputation. So, she ghosted her. Twyla didn't feel no ill will since she was already seen as a player who flipped different girls' sexualities. Nobody knew they dated, but them. Despite them always being seen together, their rendevouses in libraries, and hand-holding. They were just seen as friends. Really good friends. 

Seeing Twyla AKA Tiger after years of no communication, Raja remembered why she fell for her. Her hair was kept curly and her smile remained the same. It made her heart quicken and she felt those same butterflies she once felt. Rin remembered that Tron was there, of course. But, he could never make her feel the way Twyla made her felt. She missed feeling the world and her fingertips. 

Tron paid for their drinks and sat awkwardly while Twyla made herself comfortable. She held her hand like back in the day. And, of course, Rin had no intention on showing Tron that she was his because she wasn't. If he wanted her, he should make that move. But, seeing that he felt threatened by Twyla, she was turned off by him. 

"So, what are you up to now?" Rin asked. "You know I'm still on my poetry grind and working in schools." 

"I follow your dad on Facebook. I know." Twyla smirked. "I still be in the streets, but not as heavy. Been working in construction, though. You see how rough my hands are." 

"They still soft," Rin blushed. Those hands were memorable. 

"What about your friend? What does he do?" 

"I'm a musician," Tron said, his voice a little annoyed. "You making money in construction? Why you slangling still?" 

"I like money," Twyla answered. "No shame 'bout it." 

Tron nodded. "Can't argue wit it." 

Twyla returned her attention back to Rin. "You still tight with Rajie?" 

"Yeah. Of course. We live together at The Rio. You know, that complex where everyone  seems to buy from your old plug. You still sell with Gem?" 

"Gem's my big brother. You know it." Twyla sipped from her Long Island Iced Tea and winced a bit before stroking Rin's hand with her thumb. "He said he saw you a couple times. You know a nigga got eyes everywhere without wanting to see." 

Rin melted. She was instantly reminded of the most recent poem she read aloud at an open mic night. She wrote it years ago, but she had tweaked it. It was one of her favorite works, too. The original title was "A Moon's Night with Twyla", but then she named it "Twilight".

In my memories, you were the sweetest thing

A moment in time I would dream for again

I hate how bitter the world had treated us

but I'd find you to remind you

How much I missed the way you crossed my mind without looking

I searched for you in so many women and men

Only to notice that I can't love you the way I loved myself

Next time, I'll be more kind and understanding

and would perk my ears to listen, instead of hear your words

Misunderstanding was Rin's greatest teacher. Being here in this moment was bittersweet, enough. She forgot why she was here. Who she came with. Everything. In that moment, it was just her and Twyla talking. 

The way you sold your dreams to chase something more feasible

"My little cousin died and that's when I had to chill on the sales," Twyla recalled, crossing her legs. "And then, Gem was arrested for 2 years on a petty crime. I didn't wanna end up in the back of a cop car...or dead. I got so much to live for." 

And I still found you able to aspire for something more

"I'm so sorry, T." 

"It is what it is. But, I kept my promise to keep shit pushing and find something else. The legal route." She had said "the legal route" as if it were something to fantasize on. Like she would have never considered it. It made Rin happy to see that Twyla listened to her. She wished that they had had more time together. She wished that she had witnessed this growth. 

Tron stood up. "Yo, Rin. You trippin, shawty. If you wanna hop on old girl's strap go ahead, but don't be stringing me along." 

Twyla chuckled. "You mad?" 

Tron got in Twyla's face and gave her the middle finger. "Nah. I ain't stressing about no bitch in the rainbow connection. I ain't no Kermit." Then, he walked away to the dance floor. 

Rin was unaffected as she watched him go. She knew the type of guy he was going to be anyway. It was a sign that she was about to encounter Twyla once again. Shit, it was a retrograde and maybe things were meant to come back together. 

"Let's get out of here," Rin whispered in Twyla's ear.