The Ones Left Behind (ThorinXhobbit!reader) - Part 1

"Is Y/N crying?" Fili whispered to Balin and Bilbo. They both turned to look at you across the campfire. Tears were freely flowing down your face as you calmly unpacked your pack for the evening.

"Did something happened to her Bilbo?" Bofur asked frowning.

"Why are you asking me? I haven't done anything as far as I'm aware." Bilbo huffed indignantly.

"Well, you've known her the longest, Bilbo." Balin said, "Go talk to the lass and see what's wrong."

Bilbo nose twitched anxiously, "That hardly counts as knowing her, but fine give me a moment."

You had met Bilbo for the first time many years ago at a Midsummer's Eve festival when Gandalf introduced you to him as an old friend from Frogmorton.You were accompanying him that year to enjoy the fireworks display.

Over the years following, you would occasionally pass through the shire while on business —although you would never specify the nature of it— and always made sure to stop by Bilbo's for tea to catch up before leaving again.

Bilbo stopped in front of you with a curt nod, "Miss Y/N."

You looked up at him with a bright smile, "Mr. Bilbo, is everything alright? Can I help you with something?"

Bilbo bounced on the balls of his feet uncomfortably as he said, "No it's nothing like that. Actually, I came over to see if you were alright."

Confused, you frowned and closed your pack to give him your full attention, "What are you talking about Mr. Bilbo, I'm fine. Have I done something to suggest otherwise?"

Bilbo looked at your tear stained face in disbelief, "Do you mean to say that you didn't realize you were crying, Miss Y/N?"

"Crying? What are you-" you reached a hand up to your face and laughed, a slight blush colored your face, "Well that's embarrassing. I didn't realize I still did that." You quickly wiped away the tears from you face, "Everything is quite alright Mr. Bilbo I apologize if it alarmed you. My eyes are quite sensitive and tend to water when I'm around fires and things of that nature."

Sighing in relief, Bilbo nodded his understanding, "Oh that's quite alright, I'm just glad your okay. If that's the case, I think I'll turn in for the night."

You smiled and said, "Thank you for your concern Mr. Bilbo. Sleep well."

"You as well, Miss Y/N." Bilbo nodded once before departing back to his spot across the fire.

Bilbo quietly relayed your conversation to the others when he sat down with a smile. He was happy to know that you were okay.

"You're a fool."

Bilbo looked behind him in alarm at Dwalin who sat nearby. He had overheard the whole ordeal. Balin sighed, "I'm afraid my brother is right, Bilbo. The lass would have noticed if her eyes had been irritated to the point of watering. Something's wrong."

Bilbo's brows furrowed and he glanced back at you, "Then what should I do? She obviously didn't want to speak about the matter with me."

Balin shared a forlorn look with his brother, "There's nothing for you to do. She will talk about it when she is ready."

"She's handling it on her own. It's nothing someone the likes of you would understand." Dwalin grunted, "If she truly needs help, she will come to one of us."

"You know what's happened then" Bilbo's nose twitched again, "why didn't either of you stop me before then?"

"Because while some of us can tell what's wrong, it's good for her to hear that people like you care about her." Balin explained, resting his hand Bilbo's shoulder, "She will tell you when the time is right."

Bilbo shrugged Balin's arm off with an indignant huff, "What do you mean people like me?"

"Oh don't go getting up in arms, he wasn't talking about the fact you're both hobbits, you half-wit." Dwalin grumbled, "He meant that you're someone who doesn't see them."

"Dwalin, that's enough." Balin warned.

"See what?" Bilbo asked, "the pair of you aren't making any sense."

"No brother, the hobbit wants to know, so now he'll have to deal with knowing." Dwalin glared at Bilbo, "She's walks with the dead."

Bilbo shifted in his seat uncomfortably, "I don't understand what you mean."

"What my brother is trying to say is, she has seen people die." Balin sighed.

"Wait. Then what did you mean earlier? Many people have been with loved ones when they've passed."

"No, Bilbo, that's not what they meant." Fíli said shaking his head, "She's seen people die in a gruesome ways."

"And I'd wager it was more than one." Dwalin added.

"Now, how could you possibly know it was more than one? Just one person dying is tragic enough to bother someone." Bilbo said unconvinced.

"That's exactly why I know it's more than one." Dwalin stated matter-of-factly, "It's in how she carries herself."

"That's enough." Thorin commanded without looking away from Y/N, "I'll take first watch, the rest of you get some rest."

*******
To be continued?