Bad Day (Bofur X reader)

"What's the tree done to you lass?" You hear Bofur ask from behind you. You wiped the sweat from your face with the hem of your tunic and rested the warhammer on your shoulders. You snorted in frustration, "Everything, what are you doing out here anyways?"

He grinned and shook his head, "well I'm gonna be honest with yah, I thought we were under attack. We heard you all the way from the gates." You noticed that he had his own war hammer at his side and he was out of breath.

"I'm sorry to worry you, but I'm fine. You should head back." You apologized, taking your war hammer off your shoulders and turning back to the tree, "i'll head back in awhile." You started taking your anger out on the tree again when you felt bofur's hand on your shoulder. You nearly hit him, but he ducked just in time.

"Lass, I know something's wrong. Let me help." He urged gently, "please." You sighed, all the anger, frustration and helplessness bubbled to the surface.

You crumbled into his chest, fisting your hands in his tunic. You felt him run his hand over the back of your head as he hugged you closer, "Oh lass, what happened?"

"It's happening again and I- and I just don't know what I'm supposed to do to fix it." You said into his chest, your voice hitching.

"What's happening again lass- Oh lass, you couldn't have done anything to stop it from happening," he promised, remembering the events that took place two winters ago, "What makes you think it's happening again?"

"A-all the events that were leading up to it are happening again." You said quietly, "I said it was going to happen then, and I was right. I just- I don't want to live through that heartache again. I don't want to find myself alone again." The last part was barely a whisper, you were so afraid that speaking your thoughts would make them come true.

"But you aren't alone, you have me. And I will never leave your side." He promised, planting a kiss on the top of your head, "So long as you'll tolerate me."

He squeezed your shoulders and started to guide you back to the entrance of Erebor with a warm smile, "Now let's get you home, I don't think the tree can handle much more of an assault."