The Love of a Guard (DwalinXreader)

"Once I get ahold of him I'll rip his head from his damn shoulders" Dwalin roared, pacing the floor of the dining hall.

"Dwalin, please calm down. There's no point. I already broke up with him. It's done." You repeated, trying to calm him down, "I'm okay. He's an ass and now I don't have to be with him anymore."

"Calm down?! The filth cheated on you! He stole from you and lied through his teeth! How can I be calm? He deserves more than the protection of the dungeons from me."

You wouldn't admit it, but you wanted revenge just as much as Dwalin did. But you had to remember that you were both a part of the royal court now and couldn't act rashly out of rage, "Please think of the consequences of if you go after him, you could lose your job as a royal guard. That's too important, I couldn't forgive myself if that happened." You didn't understand why he was reacting like this, it wasn't his fight. You ran your hand through your hair, glaring at him, "Why has this gotten under your skin so much anyways? This isn't the first man to try and break my heart. Not that I have one to break anyhow."

That made him stop dead in his tracks.

For a second you felt that you may have overstepped an unseen boundary, but then he was suddenly standing in front of you pulling you from your chair by your shoulders. He looked so angry, "Don't ever say that.", he growled. You were almost shaking, you didn't understand why being so close to him lit you up like a live wire. You weren't afraid of him because you knew he would never hurt you. You tried to collect your composure before opening your mouth, "Im sorry, I didn't mean to make you upset, though i'm not sure what I said to have upset you like this."

"Look at me." He ordered, his voice low but demanding. For some reason you were terrified of what you might you might see. Anger. Frustration. Pity. You couldn't bring yourself to do it.

"Y/N, I said look at me." Dwalin's voice carried an inflection you never heard from him before, it was barely a whisper now almost pleading with you to listen to him, "Please." You took a deep breath and met his gaze. You hadn't seen him look so concerned since the restoration planning of Erebor first began.

You tried to control your erratic heart and keep it from leaping from your chest.

"Don't ever say you don't have a heart Y/N." Dwalin demanded, still clutching your shoulders. He was so close that you don't notice him move until he gently pressed his forehead to yours.

"You are the kindest dwarrowdam I've ever known, with a heart too far too full for your own good."

Your lips parted in surprise, you had no idea what to say and your body was electric from the unexpected but gentle embrace. Dwalin pursed his lips as he seemed to hesitate with what he wanted to say next.

You notice his eyes are filled with an uncertainty that had no place being there, before he clenched his eyes shut tight and whispered, "And even if by some horrible mistake you are without your own heart, rest assure that you have mine until the end of my days."

You gasped quietly.

This was Dwalin. You had loved him even during the days before Smaug, but you never dreamt that you would ever live to see this moment. You had millions of things you wanted to say, but had no idea where to start. Your eyes started to well with tears as the first honest smile in years spread across your lips.

Eyes still clenched shut, Dwalin started to fumble with his words, "I'm sorry Y/N, I mean lady Y/N, that was inappropriate of me to say. Please forgive me my lady, I understand that you wouldn't want the love of just a guard. You deserve so much better and I just I want you to be happy." He started to pull away. Terrified of losing him, you frantically wrapped your arms around his neck and looked up to see his eyes wide.

With a nervous laugh, you rested your head on his chest. Your voice is barely a whisper, "I would be honored to keep the heart of Erebor's most loyal guard, nothing would make me happier."

Feeling brave, you peeked up at the dwarf you just confessed to, your face burning bright. The love in his smile shone almost as brightly as the relief in his eyes, "Y/N, I-". You giggled and put a finger to his lips, "We have talked for the past 80 years, there's something new I want to try" The courage you had a second before vanished as you gently pulled him closer. At first Dwalin was surprised, but then he pulled you into a deep kiss that caused the world outside his arms to melt away.