chapter [4]

A week had passed since I spontaneously moved in with Sam. The investigation about my mother's disappearance was still going and our house was currently empty. Thanks to the insurance money and my mom's savings I was able to get by for now and pay for the reconstruction but that didn't change the fact that many of my things had taken damage in the explosion. I was lucky that my bedroom wasn't on the side of the house that had burned down so most of my clothes, school stuff and other things had still been there before I packed the most necessary things into boxes.

After the final exams I didn't have to visit school for a while but all kinds of friends came visiting me or asked to meet up to talk about what happened. I reasonably declined everything that was past sunset out of fear of the shadow creatures... even the party of my school after everyone finished finals.

Meanwhile, I started investigating. At first, I checked Gigrin's home underneath the school but I found it totally empty.
The floor on which Mr. Robberts had died was still under police investigation so I wasn't able to search for anything that the fairy prince might have left behind. It was the same with my house although I was actually too cautious to set my foot there for now.

Instead, I forced Sam to come to the city park with me this day.
I didn't want to go alone and she also still urged me to prove that the hidden realm was real. Involving her this much might put her into a little danger but she deserved knowing what the hell I was doing.

"So, where are we going, Mr. I-am-haunted-by-demons?" Sam wondered when she followed me along the path through the trees and bushes until we reached the small lake, a tourist attraction because of its beautiful water lillies.

"It's not funny Sam, they almost killed me." I snapped but quickly caught myself when I noticed that I overreacted.

"Listen I-" She probably wanted to apologize, but it made me feel uncomfortable so I intentionally interrupted her when we arrived at a small bench at the shore.
We were lucky that there weren't many people here today. I could only spot three or four around the whole area.

"This lake... it's the home of a water fairy." I explained and let myself sink down on the bench to which she responded by doing the same.

"Like... a mermaid?" She asked when brushing her hair out of her face and I shook my head slightly.

"No, mermaids don't live in small lakes like these... they also have a fishtail but water fairies have legs but can walk on the water surface. Usually, they are about the size of a child and also look like one. As for their appearance, they always wear what surrounds them. This lake here is home to a female water fairy that wears the flowers and petals of water lillies all over her skin like a dress. Her hair is blond and her eyes like a typical water fairy blue without a pupil or any white." I explained, clearly remembering all the times I had seen her here. Due to the rule of never talking to fairy creatures, I didn't even know her name nor did I ever exchange any word with her. But from watching her many times, I was pretty sure that she was safe to talk to. Usually, she jumped around or danced on the water surface. Sometimes, she played pranks on the children by splashing water into their faces but what had convinced me of her good will was the one time she had saved a little human boy from drowning.

"Hm, I see... so where is she? What do we want from her?" Sam crossed her arms once again but seemed excited to see what was about to happen next. Despite all the disbelief, she still had fun with this...

"We'll call her." I said with determination and she narrowed her eyes.

"How? It's not like we can just dip our head into the water and yell, right?" Sam laughed half heartedly and when I thought about it we'd probably be cursed by her if we showed that much disrespect.