chapter [8]

After I had recovered from my sudden breakdown a little, Dorian had fortunately left me a little space to deal with it myself after I told him that I felt awkward after him seeing me cry like that.

In the meantime he had handed me new clothing that was more in accordance with the palace etiquette and sent a guard to message Ilayda.
Opposite of my initial thoughts these kind of clothes were modern and comfortable, yet a little extraordinary. Dorian had handed me a black blouse with golden flower patterns engraved at the bottom of the sleeves. It came with a type of black corset that was placed around my lower ribcage and pants, similar to suit pants in a dark green. I had to admit that it looked quite good on me.

"Vael? Are you finished? Ilayda is here." Dorian wondered when he knocked on the door of the dressing room.
I didn't have to think twice when I pulled it open and ran up to the gracious woman that was standing near the door frame leaning on the wall with her arms crossed.

When I approached Ilayda, she eyed me up and down with an approving expression on her face.

"You sure did well dressing him." She whistled and I already wanted to thank her when I realised that it was directed at Dorian.

"Of course, I did well guessing his measures after holding him in my arms so often." The prince shrugged, making me shudder of embarrassment.
I needed to overplay that before she'd begin to ask questions.

"Where is Sam? I need to see her." I asked the woman and after holding eyecontact with Dorian for a moment she finally gave me an answer.

"I ordered a guard that I trust to take you to her. Meanwhile, His Highness and I will be visiting the Queen... I advise you to keep quiet and don't attract attention when walking around the palace." She explained and even though I didn't like the thought of walking around here with some random guard that I didn't know, I had to visit Sam at all costs.

"What if Dorian receives punishment from the Queen?" I turned around to said prince who seemed confused for a moment.

"Are you worrying about me?" He laughed a little while speaking.

"Yes- No, uh I didn't mean it that way. How will your punishment affect me?" I repeated what I originally meant to say but Ilayda was quicker than the prince this time.

"Rest assured, that my people will take care of you and protect you and Sam. They'll provide you with information about this meeting's outcome in case we are unreachable." She explained rather coldly but I felt a little unsure about how she addressed Sam by her first name instead of 'your friend' or 'the human woman'. They couldn't have gotten to know each other better in those few days, right?

"Your Highness, it's time to leave." Ilayda held the door open for Dorian, who pushed me out first before exiting himself.
Right there in the hallway that was decorated with violet colored flowers that I couldn't identify, there was a young fairy standing with a wide smile on her pointy face.
She was about as tall as an ordinary 12 year old although she must have reached adulthood already. Similar to Ilayda, she was clothed in thin silver colored armory but instead of dark green, her skirt, the pants underneath and her shirt were all shimmering in a mixture of blue tones.
By guessing, I could tell that the colors must indicate a knights rank.

"Good day, dear guest. My name is Elin. I was assigned to escort you for as long as Lady Ilayda and his Royal Highness are unavailable." She raised her hand to her head similar to a military salute and bowed shortly so her blond locks fell over her shoulders and covered part of her face for a moment.

From the way she tried acting all tough, to her outfit, face and big round eyes, Elin was one of the cutest beings I had ever seen in my life.
It was mean to think but compared to Ilayda she didn't have that powerful and mighty aura of a knight.