chapter [15]

"Help-" he whispered and I sank down to my knees in shock to inspect his wounds. There were large cuts on his chest, legs and on his left arm and a small wound bleeding from his head.

"What happened to you? Can you hear me?" I carefully lifted up his head when his eyes fell close again, his long blond lashes creating shadows on his skin. What was this guy doing up here all alone? Was he back-up sent by the Queen? His clothes didn't seem like he was a member of the royal guards though. His blouse was made of rough material and his pants were a bit too large so he had tied a brown colored belt around it. The guy was wearing black combat boots like mine but even those were at the brink of falling apart.

"Water..." his raspy voice pulled me out of my thoughts when I hurriedly handed him my water bottle. I almost let it drop because I had lost all my coordination in shock.
I brought it to his dry lips and lifted his head a little so he could gulp down the water.
When he was finished, he let out an exhausted breath and I lay his head back down.

"Thank you... I think I really would have died if it weren't for you." His voice was still weak but he smiled a little and tried to push himself up with his right arm but it miserably failed when his muscles gave in. I caught the guy and helped him sit up in worry.

"You need to get treated. These injuries look serious..." I told him when he opened and closed his eyes, struggling to keep his balance even when sitting.

"Haha, don't worry. The injuries aren't deep. I know how to treat them myself. It's just that I fell on my head and everything's spinning woah" he brought his hand up to his forehead when he fell to the side again. Struggling to hold him in place, I pulled him over to lean against a treetrunk. He just fell on his head? Who'd even believe that?

"You just said you would have died if it wasn't for me and now you tell me not to worry?" I asked him in slight confusion when the guy, whose eyes were closed again, grinned stupidly.

"I came across a tiger beast and barely managed to get away but somewhere on the way I probably collapsed. It must have been at least two days so I was probably close to dying of dehydration..." he mumbled and I listened trying to figure out if I could trust what he said. Comming across a tiger beast up here was plausible but he must have had incredible luck to have survived unconsciously in the open like this. Had Yor come across him during this time? He would have surely informed us, right? I'd ask him once he came back.

"Have this" I pulled out the last cornflakes chocolate bar that I kept in my bag and handed it to him. The guy weakly opened his eyes and observed it with a strange expression. It was then when I noticed his interesting appearance. His ears were pointed like the ones of an elf and his nose was well shaped. His lips had regained some color and were slightly parted to ease his breathing. His upper lip was slightly bigger than his bottom lip which I had always considered a rare beauty trait.

"What's that?" He furrowed his eye brows and stared at me in suspicion. His eyes had a mysterious purple color similar to amethyst stones and there was a mole under his right eye. His blond hair was a bit shorter than mine and not curly.

"Cornflakes and chocolate in a bar... you can have it" I urged him for the sake of him regaining his strength at least a little but he didn't seem positive about it.

"Looks like something these humans eat..." I heard a slight disgust in his words but didn't think much of it.

"It's food, anyone can eat it and I eat it so have a bite." I pushed it to his face until he begrudgingly opened his mouth and took a small bite of the bar, slowly chewing it and thinking intensely.

"Hm" he let out a sound of neutrality but took another bite until I had fed him the whole bar.

"Feeling better?" I wondered and put away the wrapper, feeling satisfied that I got him to eat it.