chapter [9]

Dorian's POV

An hour before

It had been months since I was called to the quarters of the Fairy Queen but this time I wasn't too excited about it.
The body language of the guards said it all... they were trembling in fear when they opened the giant wooden gate to the royal hall.
Mother was indeed a being of incredible aura but seeing them agitated like this probably meant that me missing her birthday wasn't the only reason I was here.

"Did they tell you anything?" I leaned over to Ilayda when we stopped in front of the gate.
She sighed but shook her head.

"I'm sure they noticed that you brought someone here but that has never been an issue before..." She spoke what I already thought of.

"You should go now... I wasn't allowed to come with you." She added and urged me to go so I gave her an assuring nod and entered the royal chambers confidently with my head up.

I couldn't show uncertainty or fear in front of mother...

"Your son, crown prince Dorian greets the Fairy Queen Aide, mother of the forest and protector of the fairy folk." I did an official greeting and bowed down deeply without looking her in the eyes. She didn't reply for a long moment but I didn't dare looking up until my back began to hurt. Already pressing her authority, didn't she?

"Dorian" Her mighty voice echoed through the room and made me hold my breath for a second. I lifted my head and finally got to look at her.
It was the same face and appearance that had burned itself into my vision for more than 200 years.

Hair as pearly white as mine but with a warm touch of gold and embroidered with thousands of flowerpetals and small emeralds, eyes in the color of a diamond reflecting the blue sky, much lighter than mine and having the ability to see through anything and everyone. Despite being thousands of years old her appearance resembled a young woman with skin as soft and tender as silk and small lips that were pressed together in a tensed manner.
The folk admired her as a beauty out of this world but when I looked at her an uncomfortable feeling spread in my chest.

"I am here to officially apologize for missing out on your birthday party. There was an unexpected accident-" I gave my best to sound sincere but she interrupted me half way without any warning.

"You've disappointed me, Dorian. Why is it that I must hear of something like this from a subordinate?" It seemed she was calm but the enormous pressure of her status pressed down on me and made it hard to breathe.

"I... am not quite sure what Her Magisty is referring to."

"Demonic creatures have shown a suspicious pattern of movement for some time now. Just recently I was told you witnessed such an occurrence and took a being related to the cause here. What is the meaning of this?!" Her hand formed a fist and I bit down on my lips nervously. So there was indeed a real reason why I was called here... of course nothing would go unnoticed by her. And I thought I was save as long as General Hawk didn't spill...

"We will be investigating the recent movement of the demons. The boy I took might be of assistance, I already confirmed that he is no threat." I replied as confidently as I could but it seemed to anger the Queen.

"Hah!" She laughed out and suddenly I was swept off my feet when an invisible force pulled me forward until I crashed with the ground right in front of her magisty's seat.

"Don't take me for a fool. It's obvious he's just another one of your play things, you even went as far as bringing his human friend to ensure he'd stay with you. Say, are you so desperate that you even throw yourself at filthy bastards like that?!" She slammed her hand down on her seat and laughed down at me in a voice filled with blissfullness and amusement.