chapter [14]

It was the next day when we continued our way through the vast mountains and forests with volcanos surrounding us from almost every side.
Ilayda was walking at the front and Dorian insisted on walking next to me while Yor kept his distance and only came up to me now and then.
Since it was daytime at the moment we weren't actively confronted with demons but the forest here was engulfed into a thick fog and the trees grew close to each other. There way barely any sunlight reaching us and in the bushes and shadows different pairs of eyes followed our every movement.

"I haven't asked before but why exactly do you seek the gold smiths?" I wondered when I had continuously thought about Ilayda and Dorian's strategy.

"Report about recent movements of demonic beasts and other evil creatures showed that they seem to be gathering in the center of this forest near the volcano of the gold smiths. We think they were called here by someone." Dorian didn't hesitate much to explain and I followed his words. The wolf that I had spoken with didn't mention anything about this... perhaps I'd get the chance to ask another creature about it next time.

"If your mother got taken away by a high ranked demon she is most likely somewhere there..." he added and pointed at the sole mountain up ahead. It wasn't that big but because no other hills directly surrounded it, it stood out in the landscape. On top of it there was a giant crate but it didn't show any sign of activity.

"Who would be strong enough to gather all those demons here...?" I questioned more in thoughts than actually wanting to ask Dorian but he replied after a short moment of silence.

"There is this rumor circulating in the forests... I haven't told you before because I didn't want to scare you but people say the Dragon King has left behind a son that will rise up from the darkness to overthrow the Fairy Queen." He explained and I forgot how to breathe for a moment.

What...?! People already knew that the Dragon King had a son? But who leaked the information? Who knew about my identity? I panicked for a moment, struggling to hide my discomfort.

Why did the rumor say it was the Dragon King's son that gathered the dark forces when I was right here? I had never tried to go against the Fairy Queen so who the hell was actually behind it? Was there someone walking around with a false identity?

"Are you okay? I'm sorry if that scared you." Dorian took my hand and I held onto it like nothing was wrong. I couldn't attract suspicion right now. The situation would resolve itself somehow. We'd find that evil creature and see for ourselves who it was. There was no need to feel nervous since I wasn't involved in all this.

"I'm good, don't worry. It's just... isn't it dangerous to go into the lions den with just so few people?" I changed the topic as best as I could but that only made Dorian chuckle at me as he let his hand pat my head.

"We're just here to report. I've been temporarily banned from entering the palace but that doesn't mean I don't have any duties to fulfill... if we went in here with a whole army, we might walk into the enemies trap because we don't know anything yet." He explained in a logical manner and it seemed to make sense. In order to investigate this place, skilled people like Dorian and Ilayda had to be sent to make sure the mission succeeded.

"So what if a war will actually happen?"

"The Queen's army will slaughter every last evil creature in this forest and annihilate the source of demonic cultivation." Dorian's reply came quick and without hesitation but the irrational cruelty took me by surprise.

"What about the creatures that have nothing to do with this? They could have their actions controlled against their will..." I mumbled thinking about how the beasts that I met were not much different from ordinary animals protecting their territory. Shouldn't they be respected as well?