Chapter 4: Hiring A Girlfriend

I woke up feeling drowsy with sleep, but the fresh, cool breeze coming through the window felt soothing, now I can see why he wanted me to buy the beach house down the road.  I stayed awake thinking over what my parents, mainly my mother had said to me, do I actually look that lonely and miserable to them? It wasn't long after Felix came rushing through the door and tackled me. "Time to get up and get some breakfast princess, c'mon! Up! Up! Up!" He yelled and started shoving me around. "OK! Dude chillout, i'm up already!" I complained defensively and threw a pillow at him. "And have a shower dude you stink, phew!" He waved his hand under his nose, and threw the pillow back at me. I let out a sigh and got myself ready for a shower, after I got out I cleared the mirror from fog and looked into it. For the first time I looked at a face that I couldn't recognise, I ran my hand over my face and looked hard at my features. I dug out my toiletries bag and pulled my razor and shaving cream out, it didn't look that bad, but I hate the feeling of stubble, so I decided to shave anyway.

I put on some clothes and met the others in the kitchen, where they were both too busy being all romantic and lovey-dovey. "Morning.." I awkwardly cleared my throat. "Oh hey! You're finally here!" He sounded cheerful. "So did you guys um, get much sleep?" I scratched my neck, then by the way they both looked at each other, obviously meant that they did end up having "it" between the sheets. "Glad we covered that.." I sipped consiously on some orange juice. "Dude relax, don't be so tense.." He smoothed over. "I am relaxed, listen I'm going to be hitting the road anyway, so you both won't have to worry about me being here for much longer.." I emphasised. "Marshall, you know i'm not like that.. besides you and I still need to talk.." He eyed me as if relaying a secret code to me. "Nah man I should really be get going, let you two spend time together.." I got up. "Babe, is it ok if Marshall and I have a little chat for just a sec?" He went back to make sure that it was ok with her. "Yeah, sure go for it, i'm just going to watch my show anyways.." She rotated to turn on the T.V.

"What is it man, it's your fam again isn't it?" He knew the answer straight away by looking at me. "It's just, why does my family have to have so much bullshit throughout it? I mean Weis sure as hell didn't mind getting his get-out-of-jail free card, and meanwhile I have to be left here with the rest of their shit." I said bitterly, while leaning over the deck railing. "C'mon man, I know your family isn't as glamourous and perfect as everyone else thinks it to be, but at least you don't have your father as your coach." He laughed and nudged my shoulder. "I know, but I just want them to stop judging me, for everything I do." I complained. "Well, don't take this the wrong way dude, but you do put your parents on edge like alot." He laughed. "I know but they always seem to forget, that I'm not as old as Weis, and that i'm still young enough to still do stupid things." I justified. "Well, I'm sure they're just looking out for you, in the best way they can." He always has a soft spot for my parents. "See that's why I was late getting here, because my parents think that I'm lonely, which clearly i'm not." I said defensively. "So they want you to have a girlfriend, like an actual girlfriend..?" He was taken aback. "Yep, and you know that I'm not good at that, because let's face it, I haven't had a great track record of keeping one." I sighed. "Actually there is something, that can help you with that, c'mon come with me for a sec." He showed me inside.

We went into his study and searched something on his computer, he eventually turned his screen around and showed me. "Are you serious? Didn't you hear me out there?" I fired up. "Look, it's not even real, all you have to do is hire someone that appeals to you, but you don't actually have to date them." He insisted. "You know that this is crazy.." I shook my head. "I know, but this is the best thing ofr your situation." He smiled and grabbed my shoulder. "Wait, so how did you find out about this?" I asked suspiciously. "You know that time when we went to Prague last summer, and I was with that chick Zara?" He grinned. "No way! Her!?" I couldn't believe it. "Yep, and I ended depressed because as much as I wanted to do stuff with her, you're not allowed, company's number one rule." He sighed sadly. "Well then why the hell even hire someone as your girlfriend, and then do nothing with them?" I protested. "That's because you're only supposed to show people that you have one." He emphasised. "So it's all for show? What the hell is this?" I was seriously considering, that I shouldn't have told Felix about my issue with my parents.

"Listen, thanks for trying to help but no thanks, look I suppose i'd better get going now, and ah thanks for the great party, we should do it again soon." I gave him a nougie and briefly said goodbye to Anistasia. Just before I was due to return my rental, I made a stop into a french restaurant that I had heard alot about. From the looks of the place it wasn't going to be cheap, but it's not like that was of any worry to me right..I walked up to the waiter who was a tall, thin man and obviously a Frenchmen. "Bonjour Monsieur, êtes-vous eu quelque chose du menu de petit déjeuner ou du brunch?" He uttered out, now it had been awile with my French, but it was ok. "Ah, j'obtiendrai juste le muesli et le yaourt, avec quelques tous nos remerciements de coulis." I said it like I hadn't missed a beat. "Redressez ce monsieur de manière." He ordered me to follow him. My spot was fantasic, it had a view of the local beach and a perfect view of the Hamptons amazing women.