Chapter 6: Meeting Scarlett

I woke up early in the morning and made sure that everything was ready, I gave Phillip Scarlett's number so that he could tell her to meet me at the airport. The plan was to suprise her by waiting in the car while she gets off the plane, then take her out to lunch. I picked out some clothes that were the more expensive type, because even though I am not meeting the president, this was afterall my first best friend who I hadn't seen in years, so I wanted to impress. I woke up and did some crunches and exercises, had a shower and went on my way. I got an extra large decaf latte to calm my nerves, and to soothe the cold with a warm pick-me-up. We arrived at the aiport after quite some time, and the jet still hadn't landed yet. "Phillip, isn't the plane supposed to be here by now?" I pulled back my sleeve and looked down anxiously at my watch. "Give it at least another 5 minutes Sir." He rested my impatientness. "You're going to keep calling me Sir aren't you?" I sighed. "Well even though your parents are my boses, I still technically work for you as well. Sir." He interupted with a hint of hesitation. "Fair enough..." and I looked out the window with a long sigh.

About a minute or so later our jet landed, and I could see her getting off. I started getting nervous all of a sudden, what if she sees that it's me and then she won't want to do it, maybe this wasn't really a good idea after all. Then before I knew it, the door opened and she hopped into the car, to be honest she looked amazing, I couldn't believe that this was the same Scarlett that I grew up with. She turned to face me and looked just as surprised as I was. "Marshall?! Oh my god!" She squealed and gave me the tightest bear hug, that I've probably ever had. "Uhh, heyy..." I could barely breathe. "I can't believe you're here! I can't believe that I'm here!!" She said laughed, not even noticing that she's crushing me to death.

"Scarlett, I'm really glad to see you too, but can you let go now.." I almost choked. "Oh my gosh sorry about that, It's just been a really long time..." She blushed with embarrassment. "It's fine, I understand... but for now just sit back and enjoy the ride." I smiled while tending my throat and chest. "Um, where are we going..?" She said a bit startled. "To do something I should have done a long time ago.." I said sincerely. "I knew it, this is the part where you kill me, and then dump my body over a cliff isn't it.." She joked sarcastically. "Um, no... just purely lunch." I laughed nervously. "Jeez, you haven't changed one bit have you... you're just so easy to tease.." She winked at me. "Heeyy...". I moaned. 

I really wanted to make it special for her, so I took her to the same café that we always went to during our teenage years. During our trip every time I looked over at her, she was either looking out the window or grinning back at me, which made us burst into laughter. Phillip let us know when we had reached out destination, so I got out to open her door for her. "Why thank you.." She hopped out and gave me an unexpected kiss on the cheek, which made me feel really warm inside. She giggled at my reaction and at the fact that I was still holding the door open. "You know, you can close the door now." She sniggered. "Uh, right.." I blinked back into reality. I ran in front to catch the door. "Ladies first.." I extended my arm forward. "Such a gentlemen.." She gushed sarcastically. "C'mon, don't push it.." I laughed and guided her inside. While came in shortly after, I saw her  just standing there looking at everything with subtle confusion. "Hey everything ok?" I caught her out of her gaze. "Yeah, it's just I can remember it like it was yesterday, now everything has changed..." She trailed off while playing with her heart-shaped necklace.

'Um, well" I stuttered before a waiter awkwardly interrupted. 'Ah Mr Barclay so good to see you again, Table for two??' He looked and gestured at the both of us. 'Uh yes just two.' I don't know why I was in such a daze for. 'Very well then, right this way.' He started walking over to the v.i.p lounge area and showed us our table. 'I'll get you some menus, meanwhile feel free to look at the drinks menu.' Then he was off, finally some peace, speaking of which I couldn't help but stare at Scarlett, I didn't know why but it was like she had a hold on me. "What..?' She grinned at me. 'Nothing, it's just, I'm happy to see you again." I stopped lowered the menu. 'Come on, there's got to be some reason why you're doing this??' She looked right into my eyes. 'Well when I saw you, I guess reality must of sunk in, and I realised that I did actually miss you..' I felt very warm all over a again, and I really wanted for it to stop. 'Well thank you for your honesty, and I must admit it's really great to see you and I missed you too.' She laughed with her I glazed.

'So what are you doing with yourself, I mean I don't want to sound ignorant..' I stopped mid-way, and I could see that I was actually being too forward. 'Well we haven't seen both of each other in ages so, I guess it's normal for you to just ask what I've been doing for the past, mmm I don't know 8 years, but no it's been a blast.' She laughed but it was more of a sarcastic and bitter one. 'Did I do something wrong?' I was completely confused. 'I knew it, as soon as you were put next In line for your families company,  you would turn out to be just like your father.' She shook her head with disappointment and shame. 'Hey, I'm nothing like my father, and I don't aspire to be like him anytime soon.' I shot back, with just as much bitterness. 'Well, it looks to me you've pretty much perfected the whole "bravado" image, so please excuse me if I don't feel comfortable.' She stood up and now practically everyone was looking.

'Says the one who let's people buy her.' It spewed out of my mouth, before I could even think about. Then without any warning, Scarlett slapped me so hard across the face, it had felt like I had been struck by lightning. 'Who the hell do you think you are!!?' She cried and ran out. 'Scarlett! Please wait!!' I put a tip on the table and clumsily ran out after her. When I ran outside, I saw her running down towards the subway, so I slipped off my shoes and sprinted, and sprinted till I managed to grab a hold of her coat. 'Marshall, let go of me!' She yelled. 'Puh-lease, just let me, just don't run..' I panted and tried to regain my breath. When I looked up I saw her mascara-ran face, and it instantly made me feel so hurt, as the fact that I was reason for those tears. 'I really regret saying that to you, and I had no right to, so I am sorry for that.' I made her look at me, by pulling both her shoulders in my direction. 'Why do you have to be such a dick?! I mean I would have expected from a stranger but this, this was so low even from you.' Her hurt, now turned into anger.

'I know I was a complete dick, because that's what I've become now, and to tell you the truth I hate it.' I looked deep into her green teary eyes. 'Just look, if you have nothing nice to say, just keep it to yourself ok?' She started walking off. 'Where are you going?' Now I was confused. 'Well you did hire me right?' She stopped and looked at me. 'Um, let's just..' I didn't know where she going with this. 'So i'm tired and I need a bed to sleep on, so can we go back to your place..?' She sighed while swaying back and forth. 'Sure, i'll just call Phil-' I was just about to get my phone out, before Scarlett took the phone out of my hand. 'Hey, what are you doing..?' I demanded. 'I don't want the special treatment from you, ok? We'll take a taxi..' She walked up to the curb, and let out a loud wolf-whistle with a signal of her hand. It wasn't long before one came screaming to holt, she didn't hesitate to get in unlike I did. 'You know I can't get into your house, unless you come with me right?' She stopped mid-way while holding the door. 'Right, i'm coming..' I laughed.