Chapter 9: From Bad To Awkward

When we arrived back to my place, things were not as tense and Scarlett seemed to be really giggly for some reason, I guess she was just tired. I held her heels and bag while she giggled her way inside, it was actually quite amusing because she was totally sober, but her behaviour was like a drunk person.     'You know you're truely lucky to have a brother like yours Marshall..' She said it with utter most honesty. 'I know..' I opened the door. 'Do you..?' She questioned while leaning against the wall. 'C'mon, you should get some sleep.' I gently guided her through the door to the guest room. 'Ugh, you're such a kill-joy when you really wanna be..' She nagged sarcastically. 'Haha funny, now go to bed, get some rest..' I gently nudged her into the bedroom and placed her bag and heels on the floor. 'Night..' I quickly closed the door. 'Heyyy!!' She shouted at me, but it was already too late. 

I just sat on the couch before the phone ran, so with a sigh I jumped up and reached for it. 'Ugh, yellow..' - 'Hey douchebag, how come you haven't called me..?' I knew it was Felix right away. 'Crap sorry man, i've just been really busy at the moment..' - 'and you still didn't make any time to call me once..?' He sounded hurt. 'I know dude, it's actually a great thing that you called, because I was wondering if you wanted to head up the coast like we usually do...' - 'Yeah man, that would be sweet as, hey how did  that website go..?' - 'Um, nah it wasn't for me..' I lied while I looked out to the guest room. 'Uh that sucks man, so do you wanna catch up for lunch tomorrow?' - 'I've got something on around then but I will give you a call if i'm free or not..' - 'Alright, cool see ya bro..' - 'Ha see ya man..'  I put the phone down slowly and immediately felt crap for lying to Felix,  but I wasn't going to tell him yet that Scarlett was staying with me. 

I decided to get back onto to reading the finance books, that dad had gave to me for my 18th birthday. Since I am in this next line thingo, I'd better make sure had got cracking on the "homework" part. I sat on the couch with a handful and painfully sighed, it was awhile later until I had fallen asleep with all of the books spread out across my lap. I had being awoken though by Scarlett sitting on me. 'UGH SCARLETT!!!' I moaned. 'Aww i'm sorry did I wake you..?' She laughed. 'It's not funny.. ugh that actually hurt...' I said while rubbing my back. 'Whatcha reading anyway, doesn't look like something you'd read..' She scrunched up her nose and looked at me weirdly. 'It's just stuff ok..' I said while taking the book out of her hands. 'Okaay then, I hope you're not learning on how to be a serial killer.. coz that would just be creeppyyy..' She laughed. 'That's nice, look i'm gonna call it a night.. you can stay up if you want.. just don't touch those books alright...' I rubbed my eyes. 

'Nooo, stayy, we haven't hung out yet..' She jumped on the couch to stop me. 'I actually am really tired, so i'm probably going to fall asleep on you anyway..' I rubbed my eyes again, 'Soo I don't care as long as I can get you to talk then i'm happy.. please for mee..' She gave me the puppy dog eyes trick.. 'Haha ok fine..' I sighed. 'Yess!' She jumped grabbed the blanket that was already on me. 'How did this get here? Did you put it on me..?' I gave her the look. 'What!? You looked really cold..' She shrugged and answered defensively. 'So have you got any girlfriends yet..?' She nudged me with her foot. 'What are you talking about..? Why are we even talking about this..?' I sighed. 'Marshall calm down it's just small talk i'm trying to make here..' She shot back. 'Look, I don't like talking about this with you ok...' I adjusted the cushion behind me. 'Why..? Because you're afraid that i'm going to dis you on your taste in women..' She laughed. 'Something like that..' I sighed. 'Well if it makes you feel better, i've had a terrible past in dating guys.. ugh god did I ever..' She shook her head. 

'I appreciate you for sharing, but can we please just change the subject.. like umm..' I pondered because she knows almost everything about me. 'C'mon are you serious? The Marshall Barclay not discussing his love life, what is this..?' She laughed. 'Well I do, but I don't feel comfortable discussing it around you ok..? You should be thanking me..' I moved down so that I was lying flat on the couch. 'I was only joking about the bad taste thing, but it's not that bad where you can't utter a word about it..' She rolled her eyes. But things were going ok for the moment so I dedcided to keep quiet. 'Marshall...' She sighed in a sad tone and crawled onto the other side of the couch. 'Look I'm sorry ok, if it really is that uncomfortable for you to talk about it, i'll stop..' She nudged me with her shoulder. 'Nah it's ok, I know you were only joking around..' I turned over and I looked up to find her staring directly down at me. 

'Hey can I join you? I'm getting a bit cold standing here..' She giggled. 'If you want, but there's barely any room with me alone on here...' I looked down at the slither of space. 'It's ok, we'll just have to bunch up won't we?' She winked at me, and in no time before I could react, she jumped on the couch and was already making herself comfortable. 'Eyyy Scar...' I moaned. 'Ooohh sorrry.. got a bit carried away I guess..' She joked. 'Mmm..' I tried to re-adjust myself as unawakwardly as possible, but it was vertially impossible with Scarlett right in front of me. 'Are you alright there..? You look a bit uncomfortable..' She giggled even more while looking back at me. 'You think..? Could you at least move a little bit forward..?' It came out a little meaner than intended. 'Jeez is it that time of the month again is it..?' She shot back sarcastically and shuffled forward a bit, while I was left to "fix myself" until I was comfortable. 'All good..' She tried not to look, while having a stupid grin plastered across her face. 'Yes, jeez I hate been a guy with situations like these..' I looked down. at my lap, and with the giggling coming from Scarlett she was probably looking too. 

'You mind..? A guy wants and needs his privacy too you know..' I shook my head and a chuckled a bit. 'Sorry, mr sassy..' She gestured with her hands. 'You did not just call me that!' I tickled her and she shrieked like a toddler. Then at one point her face was face-to-face with mine, and I looked into those blue-green eyes of hers, which always attracted me to her. Just when it was getting awkward, I cleared my throat and looked down. 'Maybe we should get some sleep...' I finally broke the silence.  'You're right... we should..' She yawned, stretched and lyed back down again. I was just about to get up when I thought maybe I should just let sleep here tonight, I mean one night won't hurt right..? So I lay there with Scarlett, but I can't sleep, I stay wide awake tossing through my thoughts and some old memories with Scarlett. I don't know what's going on between us, but I can feel something happening and the worst part is i'm totally scared of it.  

It would've been at least 3 in the morning before I finally fell asleep, probably due to all the overthinking. Only having to be woken up by a loud banging on the front door. 'You expecting anyone..?' Scarlett yawned. 'Ugh, noopee.. just stay here alright..' I got up from the couch and stumbled towards the door. Then with more knocking.. 'Ugh, what!!?' I groaned as I opened the door. 'Soo now you finally open your door, dude I left like three messages on your phone..' He rambled on. 'Ughh you did..?' I yawned and squinted at him. 'Seriously man, what's going on with you? You're not answering any of my calls..?' He sounded really wound up. 'Dude calm down, you make it sound like I've killed someone!' I sighed. 'Well it's not like you've been keeping in touch with anyone around you, by the way, your dad called to let me remind you about the family dinner function.. man I can't believe I'm reminding you about this..' He was now starting to sound angry. 'Ugh, I know about the function, I just don't have anyone to go with me yet.. but i'm working on that.. listen I will call you later, around lunch, i've just got something to take care of first.. ok man.?' 

'You swear, coz' I'm not going to remind you of things that are your responsibility Marshall..' He sighed. 'I know and don't worry i'll even set a reminder... see you later alright bro...' Then I closed the door and slid down against it. 'Who was that..?' She sounded a tad scared. 'Oh that was Felix, a really close friend of mine, like a brother actually..' I sighed with the sound of that. 'Didn't sound like it to me..' She walked over to me. 'Listen we need to talk..' I got back up. 'This is the part where you kill me right...? Because you've secretly kidnapped me and now people are on to you..' She pondered around. 'Nice try, but i'm serious..' I gently held her arm for assurance. 'Wow you really are, aren't you..?' She looked at my hand. 'Sorry, but I need to tell you why I really needed you here..' I looked into her eyes again. 'okayyy, i'm guessing not to use me as your cover girlfriend..' She sounded weirded out. 'Well sorta, do you remember the dinner function my family would run every year..?' I looked straight at her. 'Yes, you want me to be your date don't you..?' She gasped with realisation. 'Well yes, pretty much.. thing is do you want to? You don't have to-' I blabbed before she put her finger onmy lips and 'Shut- up! I would love to..' She laughed. 

'Really..? I mean I have to be there, but you sure..?' I couldn't believe she wanted to.. 'Umm what's the drama, it's no big deal, you should've just told me to begin with.. you knuckle head..' She rolled her eyes.