6. Mouna

What just happened? And what did he mean? I thought. When he had said those words, I inspected my bracelet and looked back up to ask him again—but he had disappeared.

The red in the sky had vanished as well as did everyone's interest. It was as if time had gone by so quickly there was no space for anyone to question it. I didn't either. It was a phenomenon that came as quick as it happened.

That was normal, surely.

My grandma's words unknowingly repeated in my head like a chant.

The bracelet on my wrist, now resting on the counter of the cafe, seemed to glow brightly. I blinked a few times...and there it was, a normal bracelet. I was becoming really paranoid for no reason. Maybe my grandma's stories were getting to me because the blood moon had actually happened. The excitement, the eagerness to maybe want something to happen was what was making me overanalyse everything.

"Mouna!"

I jumped. Raj was standing by the coffee machine, glaring at me before gesturing in front of me with his head. A customer. A very familiar customer. She was wearing a tight fitted black blazer over a thin, white blouse and black work pants.

Her caramel highlights shone under the yellow chandelier of our cafe and her red-painted lips were pursed. "Hello? Can I tell you my order?" she asked. That crisp voice...it was the TV anchor! I opened and closed my mouth multiple times before nodding.

"Su—of course." I punched in the cost for a latte before realising I hadn't even asked her what she wanted. "Sorry, um, what would you like?"

Her lips quirked up in a small smile, revealing rows of straight white teeth. "An espresso and zucchini noodle salad, thanks."

"Is that to go?" She shook her head and gave me the necessary money. I immediately turned to work, letting the others know about her order of the salad as I worked on the coffee. I couldn't help but steal glances at her over the shoulder—was that creepy?

I don't know but she was just so beautiful! Everyone was staring at her. People that were already seated turned to glance at her before whispering to their friends or family.

The strangest thing was that the woman didn't seem to notice and if she did, she didn't care. She was focused more on her phone, face a blank canvas that didn't want to be painted. I couldn't imagine being stared at like that unless I was as beautiful as her.

I wonder what it's like to be her, I thought as I finished up and put the lid on top of the black cup. Beautiful and successful—I spied a diamond ring on her long and thin finger with perfectly manicured nails—and happy. She had everything I've ever dreamt of having.

By the time I had handed her the cup of coffee, she glanced up at me from under her thick lashes. Her large, doe eyes creased as she smiled and thanked me.

Before I could stop myself, I said, "I saw you on TV today." At the way she stopped and stared, I knew I sounded creepy. "I love your segments."

Which was a little bit of a lie because I only knew she was a TV anchor today. But I would definitely love it in the future! She was already an inspiration, I could feel it.

When I thought she was going to swear at me, her face relaxed and she let out a soft, breathy chuckle.

"Thank you. Knowing I have a fan means a lot." My hands shook—I couldn't believe I had spoken to someone who was on TV and was so successful—as she continued, "By the way, the coffees and cakes you guys make here is fantastic. I've been meaning to ask who makes them."

I'd never seen her here during my shifts but wow, I had missed out on a lot!

"I-I do actually," I said with a burst of pride.

"Well, now I've made it a rule that if I want a coffee, I'm going to travel as far as here to get it from you."

My cheeks blazed and I could feel the nervous energy being transferred just from the way my teeth racketed against each other. I tried to manage some sort of smile. "Thank you, ma'am!"

"Call me Rani."

And with that, she left.

I couldn't help it. She strutted toward the table where she met with other people wearing similar outfits, their laptops out. It wasn't long before they began to leave.

Now people were looking at me. They were probably wondering why someone like me was speaking to her, and as the high of speaking to someone...expensive-looking faded away, the aftermath settled in. I cowered under the gazes.

When she got ready to leave, she shot me a smile and strutted out of the cafe as if she knew she was the centre of everyone's attention; with her head high and her long legs gracefully leading the way.

It was only then that I realised, no matter what I do and how much I work or study, in the end, I wasn't going to be like Rani. She had an aura that came naturally, not something that could be learnt.

I frowned. I wish I could be her. Even if it was for just one day, all I wanted was to feel like my existence was worth more.