16. Dhruv

I sat down opposite Rani at the dining table. This time, there was no food or making sure she was eating. This time, I was schooling her to be herself. I knew there was no need for me to do that if we were just going to go our seperate ways anyway.

But how could I leave her on her own during something like this?

"I'm going to help you," I said as I leaned forward. Rani blinked like there was something in her eyes.

"Help me?" she squeaked out. It was extremely weird seeing her so mellow when usually the only reaction I would get from her was a glare or a stone-cold stare. It was almost comical, if it weren't so serious.

"Yeah. Help you. I'm going to teach you everything you need to know so that...your memory will kickstart in some way."

The wrinkles that had appeared on her face disappeared in an instant. "Really? You would do that?"

Apparently I would. "Sure."

"Then, can we start from the beginning?"

"Uh..."

"I mean...what is your name? I haven't forgotten you, but I can't place names to anything."

That sounded more like an excuse than anything but even if she had forgotten me, it didn't really matter. In fact, that was a good thing. The most we had ever spoken recently was when we had a big fight before everything went down—she'd called me boring and annoying, the words every husband wanted to hear.

If she didn't remember me, then she wouldn't remember that.

"Dhruv. I'm a house husband. And yes, your husband," I clarified when she opened her mouth. I didn't bother looking at her to see her expression after that. Memory or not, she wouldn't be too happy about that. "You work at India Today News Network as a TV anchor and you have a few friends, including Anish and Sandra. When you see him, don't mention his crooked nose."

"Why?" she asked, finally.

"Because his wife broke it and his ego never recovered."

Rani snickered before she covered it with her hand. "I want to see him now more than ever."

A smile slipped. "Trust me, you will." I hesitated. I didn't know how I was going to deal with this topic. "Do you want them to know or—"

"No, please," she jumped in. "I would like only for us to know."

"That's fine with me." If they ever saw her and she didn't recognise them then things would go awry but that was then. Hopefully she would be fine before Anish and Sandra invited themselves over.

"I don't know how to drive and I don't know if you remember how to yourself so the rickshaw is your best bet." I rubbed my hands together. "That wasn't much information at all but I think that's it. If you ever need help, call me and I'll be there."

Rani fidgeted in her seat even as I got up from mine. I raised an eyebrow at her. "You want to add something?"

"How did we meet?" she asked. I stood stock still as I processed her question. How did we meet? I repeated in my head. I remembered that day so well. Almost like it had happened yesterday.

I could feel my lips quirking up into a sly half-smile. "You came onto me."