52. Dhruv

"Dhruv!" I hadn't even stepped fully inside their house before I was engulfed into a bone crushing hug. I chuckled and wrapped my arms around dad's shoulders, patting him.

"Long time no see," I mumbled.

"You're telling me. Let me take a good look at you." He pulled away to scan me from head to toe before clicking his tongue. "You've gained more muscle than the last time I saw you."

I snorted, gently pushing Rani to stand beside me instead of behind. "The only physical labour I do is working with dogs. The muscles must be imaginary."

My dad eyed Rani before gesturing for her to come forward. She glanced at me and when I nodded, she stepped to him and was wrapped in an identical hug to the one I'd received. She never asked for permission, usually as soon as she saw my parents, they would say something she wouldn't like and she would snap back and that would start an all-out war.

Both sides were amiable. For now.

"It's so nice to meet you," she said, pulling away. Both my dad I shot her a confused look and she was quick to say, "I mean, again! Since it's been a long time." My dad laughed, clapping her back which emitted repetitive thudding noises. I winced on her behalf, rubbing her back when he lifted his lungi and turned to call out for mom.

"He can be a little rough," I whispered into her ear, placing a kiss on the underside of it. What the hell was I doing? I asked myself. I couldn't stop. She was too much for me to resist. Whether or not she remembered me, I was going to act on what I was feeling. She shuddered and moved away from me, forcing a smile in my vague direction but not exactly looking at me. My eyebrows furrowed as I watched her move ahead without so much as a look my way.

Had I done something wrong? She seemed normal enough on the bus ride. We hadn't talked much considering she was sleeping the entire way there but I thought we'd fixed most things? What the heck? Was I imagining the other night when she'd said she wanted to fix things?

"Dhruv, look who's here."

Mom walked out, decked in a loose white top and jeans. She looked as young as ever with her straight hair tied into a low bun. "You finally came." That was all she said. I grinned. Even with the way her lips were pursed and her eyes were furtively eyeing Rani and the way her fingers tapped against her elbows that she wanted to hug us. So I took the initiative and bent down to hug her, kissing the side of her head.

"Nice to see you, too, Mom. Missed us?"

"Mhm." She patted my back before turning to Rani. "I'm surprised you showed."

I cleared my throat. "Why don't we—"

"I wanted to see the both of you," Rani said, wringing her hands.

"To have a chat? Pat mentioned it." My dad and I shared a look. Before I could ask Rani if she was fine with talking to her so early when we hadn't even settled in yet, mom gestured for her to go further inside.

The house hadn't changed since the last time we'd showed up. The black shelf with all the photos of everyone in our family was the first thing a person would see as soon as they entered the house. Down the narrow hallway, the dusty brown tiles cooled my feet as we were ushered into the middle of the open spaced dining room and kitchen, the living room in the middle with four white walls acting as a closed room of its own.

We sat down on the vintage couches, Rani making sure she was sitting as close to the edge as possible. It looked like she was about to fall off. I was about to help her sit up properly when my phone went off.

"You want me to stay with you?" I asked Rani, who shook her head. "All right, I'll be back. Don't kill each other." I looked at mom. "I mean it."

The caller ID flashed Anish's name. It had been a while since I'd talked to him. Neither him or Frankie spoke to me much anymore after what had happened.

"Hadn't spoken to you in a while so thought I'd give you a call."

"Glad you remembered I existed."

Anish chuckled, the sound breathy and muffled. "How're things?" he asked almost immediately.

"We're getting there," I said. "You? How's it looking with Sandra?"

"Bad." He sighed. "We're probably looking at a divorce, to be honest."

"Did you expect anything else?" I retorted.

"You know, you were the only one on my side. I thought you'd be a little more supportive."

I rubbed my forehead. "I'm not on anyone's side. In your situation, it didn't seem like anything other than a divorce was on the cards."

"Oh. Right. I've been a mess."

"It's difficult," I agreed. I didn't know what that exact situation was like, but my marriage had been falling apart too. Or it still was. I didn't know. Rani was acting weird again, like the other night never happened. "Look, Anish, I'm at my parent's house. I'll talk to you later."

"Shit, sorry. Yeah, I'll let you guys...yeah. Sorry."

A twinge of guilt hit me at the thought of hanging up on Anish so quickly like that. Even though I didn't agree with what he'd done to Sandra, it didn't mean I had to be so closed-off like that. Then again, I had to deal with my own shit before I could deal with someone else's.

I hurried back inside, worried Rani and my mom were at each other's throats or hair but froze right by the wall when they were sitting amicably on the sofa. My dad shot me a look that said 'I can't believe it either!'.

"So," I said, slapping my thighs as I took my seat beside Rani, "how's the talk going?"

"I was waiting for you," my mom said. Okay. Not the response I was expecting but that was still a good sign.

"Um," Rani began, rubbing her palms together. "I actually wanted to come out and apologise first."

What on Earth? I thought, staring at my wife. I wasn't expecting that either. Not just me, both my mom and my dad gawked at her like she'd stolen their gold and sold it off.

"Apologise?" my mom squeaked. I hadn't heard my mom sound like that ever. Not even when she was in the wrong after her and dad had a fight.

"I know we have our differences and the way we've expressed them haven't been very nice. I respect you and dad because you are Dhruv's parents and therefore, my parents. But all I want is for you to respect me, as well, as your sons wife. That's all I ask. I know I may not be the wife you wanted for him, but I will always try and make him happy. I'm not perfect but I know we make each other happy."

Extremely happy, I thought. She was on a roll, though, and I didn't want to interrupt her. Not when my mom was watching her with nothing to say herself.

"We're not the married couple you dreamed of but we're the married couple that we are because of you and your values. Dhruv looks up to you a lot and he never gave up on me even when I wanted to. He learnt that from you."

My chest tightened as I watched her chin quiver. I reached out and laced my fingers through hers. I was starting to feel like I was falling for her all over again. If there was any doubt before, there wasn't anymore. My mom...well, I couldn't tell what was going through her mind since her expression was a rock-hard wall.

But she didnt scream or tell her to get out which was a step up. Instead, shocking us all, she bopped her head once and then got up. "What do you say about taking a walk?"

"T-Together?" Rani asked, glancing at me.

"Yes? Is that a problem?"

"Not at all, ma'—mom!"

My dad shifted in his chair as they both got up. He leaned against the arm to say to me, "Am I the only one scared out of my mind leaving those two alone?"

I watched them go, his words simmering in my head. Then I smiled. "Yeah, you're the only one."