12. Dhruv

"Um, hello?"

I took off my 'Kiss the Chef' apron and grinned at Rani who stood behind a wall like she was some sort of shy bride. I nearly snorted but thought it seemed a bit too insensitive, considering what had happened.

"You're up." I gestured to the coffee machine. "Want me to make you your favourite?" A flash of emotion ranging from confusion to curiosity flitted across her face and she nodded, wordlessly. As I made my over to the machine, I said, "You're just in time, too. I've made sushi and homemade garlic bread."

"Sushi?"

"Yeah. You hungry?"

"I don't---my—okay. I mean, yes." I was taken aback. I mean yes, she usually moaned about having to eat but the shock was mostly because she was such a shy thing, now, speaking as if I was going to bite her head off any second. I raised my eyebrow as she gazed down at her lap.

"Hey," I said, leaning my arms against the kitchen island. I waited until she looked up at me. "It's going to be okay. The appointment's tomorrow. We'll see what's wrong then." She didn't say anything, lifting her shoulders up to her ears, instead. Not wanting to overwhelm her, I placed the plate of sushi and another plate of garlic bread in front of her. "Not the best combination, but better than just having coffee in you."

She picked up a small slice of sushi and placed it in her mouth. As much as she hated me, she never said an ill word about my food. But surprisingly, she grimaced as soon as she chewed down on it. "I—" She began to cough and I gently tapped her back before grabbing a glass of water for her.

"Don't force it," I told her. "Eat slowly."

She giggled. "You're as bossy as my grandma."

"Grandma? You don't have a grandma."

She visibly froze and I furrowed my eyebrows. "I-I mean, it reminds me of the grandparents I wish I had." She finished her water in four big swallows and wiped her mouth on the back of her hand. She shot a tiny grin at me. "Sorry."

I couldn't help but chuckle, shocking myself. I hadn't felt the need to chuckle for a long time. "It's fine. You're not feeling Sushi today, I'm guessing."

She only pushed the plate away and turned to the one with garlic bread instead. I took her plate and ate the rest, watching from under my lashes as she took in the kitchen as if it was her first time there. She ate like she had never seen food before, cheeks stuffed with food as she worked to chew. I had to admit, it was a side of Rani I'd never seen before.

It was...kind of cute. Confusing. But also cute. The atmosphere, although dire, it wasn't as tense as I was used to.

Who knew how long that was going to last?