46. Dhruv

I placed three eggs and three pieces of toast on a plate in front of Rani. After the other day, I didn't think she wanted to eat but considering her meeting was today...well, I didn't want her at the hospital again.

"I have to eat all of this?!" she asked.

"It's a big day today, isn't it? Got to keep up your energy or you'll faint like last time."

"Thanks for the reminder," she mumbled. I placed some Advil beside her.

"For your period--"

"Dhruv!"

"What?" I shrugged. "It's normal."

She shuddered. "It reminds me of that night." Her face made me snicker under my breath.

"All right, I won't mention it. Eat." Instead of complaining further than I thought she would, she took a huge bite from her toast and ate most of her eggs as well. I poured some blueberry juice, saying, "This is good for digestion and iron—it'll keep you alert during the meeting and help with your pe--" She shot me a pouty frown, "--cramps."

"Thank you, mister doctor."

"Those are two titles in one sentence." Rani put her fork down to glare at me and I put my hands up. "I'm just saying."

"Oh, there's also a work party after the meeting. I forgot to tell you."

"I'm not surprised considering the week we've just had." She made a small noise, the animated expression dissipating within a matter of seconds. "You'll do fine."

"Hmm?"

"The meeting. You're amazing at what you do and I'm sure Tara's not blind enough to see your potential."

There was no smile as she said, "Thank you." She got up, gulping down half of the pomegranate juice with her eyes closed. "You will be able to come tonight, right?"

"Do I look like someone who's got other things planned in his life?" This time she laughed. I ushered her out and got ready to get to work. It wasn't until I was in the rickshaw that I saw that I had received a text.

Anish: I'm sorry.

I sighed. I had forgotten about that mess. Maybe it was his guilt toward Sandra that made him want to apologise to me. We both knew I wasn't the one that needed to hear that, even if it didn't change anything. I could only imagine what he was going through. He probably needed a friend that had his back, not one that would put him down than he already had been.

Even if he did deserve it.

Me: I know.

Once I got to work, I fixed the locks that had gone astray from the air conditioner blasting me the moment I walked through those doors.

"Looking good," said Frankie, beaming at me as she always did. There was something different about her this time. There were no dimples in sight. Nor the sparkle in her eyes that made her bubbly personality shine. She skipped after me but almost as if she knew that that was what she had to do to convince everyone she was okay.

"Hey." I looked at my roster for the day and went on ahead to the back kitchen to get breakfast ready for each of the dogs. I didn't know Frankie was standing behind me until I turned.

"I got an update from mom about Kippie, if you're interested."

"Yeah?" I grabbed a leash and went over to the first door. The first dog of many to walk before cleaning out their kennels. This was the best part of the day. I whistled to get Teddy's attention who leaped around just at the sight of the leash in my hand. "How's she doing?"

"Great, apparently! Not as snappy and nervous as she used to be. I guess you're not so special anymore."

"I guess not, huh?"

After a pause, she said, "Mom wanted me to let you know that she's got word of a dog that was found hiding under a car. Said that you and Rani may like to adopt him permanently. She sent me photos and he's pretty much a Kippie clone, minus the grey eye and the gender."

"Sounds interesting enough," I said, absentmindedly.

"Come on," squeaked Frankie. "You're not going to make a joke? A smile? Nothing?" She didn't say anything else until I got Teddy ready to head out for a little walk. "I know you know what happened." The high-pitched, forced energy in her voice had disappeared. It was replaced by a tone laced with regret. "I didn't think things would turn out the way it did."

I hummed under my breath. She knew the extent of what had happened. I didn't see the need to keep repeating things she already knew. She walked beside me, both of us watching Teddy explore the grounds. "Anish isn't responding to any of my texts and Sandra's..." She swallowed thickly and even with the bright, humid sun blearing in our eyes, she looked frail and ashen. "Sandra's cut me off. I didn't even realise it had become a whole issue until last night."

"I don't know what you want me to say," I told her, finally.

"You've been acting strange with me all morning. I don't want you to cut me off like they did." She pinched the sleeve of my shirt, stopping me. "Do you hate me, too?"

There were a lot of things I could have said in that moment. Better, nicer things to make sure her feelings weren't hurt. She was human, too.

So was Sandra.

"I don't hate you, Frankie. I don't even know you."

Yeah, it was harsh. The way her grip on my shirt loosened and her hand fell back to her side was a testament to that.