68. Dhruv

"I know what you're here for," she said immediately before I had even seated my ass down on the wooden bench.

"You do?"

She wobbled over to the small kitchen alcove of sorts, bending down to gather some pots. Or at least I think that's what she was doing. I couldn't exactly see behind the island that separated us.

"I've been through my fair share of men to know what you're here for," she said after popping up. She winked at me. "I may be old, but I'm sure not stupid."

"Oh, I didn't doubt that for a second."

She chuckled, wagging a finger at me. "I don't think I'll give you my blessings. Maybe you should be the next one to ask for a wish on the blood moon."

The joy vanished. Did everyone but me know the magic that lay behind it all? "You knew, too?"

"It's a centuries-old fable. Of course I know."

"So you know about...?"

She hummed from the stove, putting chai powder into milk. "Don't ask me why or how because I do not know the science behind it. But I do know the magic behind it and that it's as real as you and I."

No kidding, I thought with a heavy sigh. The knock on the door made me stand up. Mouna, the inner voice of desire whispered. Mohini—Mohi—went to open it, but I could tell from the heavy limp she had, angling her body to the side, that walking took a lot of effort and a lot of pain.

"I'll take care of it," I said, going over to the door. The hope of seeing Mouna's face looking back at me dissipated. Because standing before me was Veer, in his white coat and a sleek, crisp black collared shirt.

His head jerked back, and his eyes widened behind thin black frames. "Dhruv?"

"The one and only."

"What're you doing here of all places?"

I knew explaining this situation to other people, besides Rani and Mohi apparently, was going to be difficult. I licked my lips, mulling over what exactly I would tell him. "Uh, I kind of know Mouna. I wanted to speak with her, actually."

"Well, coincidentally enough, I'm here to speak with her, too."

The smile on my face wavered, just a little bit, seeing him push past me like he owned the damn place. Shit, since when did I get jealous of Veer? 

 Not only did he have a history with Rani, but he had some sort of connection with Mouna, too. It'd completely slipped my mind that I had seen her, well, Rani I guess, with him at the bar and at the restaurant, too.

I found relief in knowing that it was Rani with him both times. It was strange to think like that--in accepting magic. I closed the door and sauntered over to sit next to him. Veer was a good guy which was why I personally liked talking to him, so I hoped whatever he had to talk about with Mouna was strictly platonic.

If he somehow managed to...no. No, I wouldn't think about that.

"Dr Arshan?" Mohi came stumbling out. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see you, of course, and if you're doing well on the new medication I gave you."

"Do I look like a fool to you, mister?" she said. Veer smiled. Mohi shook her head, looking up at the sky. "Two men for my granddaughter. Bless her soul."

Two men...yeah, no way was I giving her up to Veer if that was even where this was going. We sat there like that for a few minutes, Mohi's voice filling the air of silence. She came over to serve us our chai. I took a cup and moved to give her my seat and she squeezed my hand in gratitude. I settled on the single wooden chair and placed it nearby.

"How are you and Rani doing?" Veer asked, taking a sip. Interesting point of conversation to bring up now of all times. I took a sip of my own drink, taking my time to respond.

"I don't know what you mean."

"Oh, I didn't mean to offend. I meant how are you doing after...you know?" His tone told me he really didn't mean to offend.

My shoulders relaxed. "I'm doing well. Rani's doing well. You? The business treating you well?"

"Well," he joked. Mohi snickered and I cringed.

Way to go, Dhruv, I told myself, nervously twitching like a fool. 

"Oh!" A small voice came from the front. All three of us swivelled our bodies to the door. Mouna stood there, looking between the both of us. "What are you doing here?"

She aimed that question at me. I put the cup down on the small, wobbly table and got up. "I wanted to speak with you."

"I—"

"I don't mean to interrupt," Veer said, following my lead and standing up, "but I have something urgent to tell you. I have to leave straight after." He turned to me. "I hope you don't mind me cutting in."

Ah, hell. I minded a lot. More than I could say. Before I could voice that, someone else responded for me.

"It's okay, Dr Arshan. I want to speak to you first. Come." She wanted to speak with him first. As in she didn't want to speak with me. I swallowed, hard, feeling the hitch in my chest. Mouna guided Dr Arshan out into the dark hall, shutting the front door.

Had I lost her before I even had her?