34. Dhruv

As soon as I went inside the rescue centre, Frankie, Mika and the others were standing around in a circle near the reception desk. Deep wrinkles and frowns were plastered on most of their faces.

"What's with the gloomy atmosphere?" I remarked as I put my ID and phone into my pocket. It was completely different to the atmosphere before when they had blatantly laughed in my face.

Frankie pouted. "Apparently Kippie has to go."

"Has to go? Why?"

The receptionist spoke up. "There's a new dog coming in a couple of days and there's no space. Kippie's been here the longest."

There was a silence that brewed among us. None of us had to say anything but we all knew what the outcome was. Kippie was my favourite out of all the dogs in this short time. Was this really going to happen? Should I let this happen?

"I've got three dogs and two cats," Mika spoke up. "There's no way I can take another dog in."

"We've got our hands full with this business," Sara said, nodding at her daughter. "Plus, I've got a grown woman who acts like a dog."

"Mom!"

"I'm joking." A slight chuckle rippled through us but it was laced with a cold edge. We knew what was to come and it wasn't a laughing matter.

"My wife hates anything with four-legs," added another woman with a pixie-cut.

I clapped the reception table, making sure everyone was looking at me. "We still have a few days to think about what's going to happen and who's going to take Kippie. As her caretakers, we should do everything we can to make sure she's happy. Worrying about it isn't going to do any of us any good, least of all her. For now, we're here to look after these beauties, so let's do our best, yeah?"

"I'm starting to see why Sara hired you," one of the only other males said who had been crouching low with a heavy bag full of dog food.

"You didn't see my potential before?" I joked, patting him on the shoulder and getting ready to do my duty for the day.

"Oh, I knew," Sara piped up before shooting me a smirk and heading out the back.

"He's right, you know," a voice came from behind me. Frankie had followed me before going to tend to Lucy, an elderly dog. "I mean, besides Sandra's recommendation, mom and I could tell you'd be great."

"I owe you a lot."

"Then maybe you could take Kippie." I kissed my teeth. Of course she had come to this conclusion. "What? You said you owe me!"

"I'll owe you in another way."

"Oh come on. Everyone knows Kippie's already grown attached to you. That's saying a lot."

"Other than the fact that she probably wasn't getting a lot of attention from anyone else."

Frankie rolled her eyes. "I'm being serious, Dhruv." I squatted down low to the first kennel I was supposed to clean. A shaking Maltese who practically glued herself against her cage. I turned a little sideways so that my body was facing Frankie who was opposite me. Avoiding direct eye contact, I placed a few chicken treats for her to come out. While I waited, Frankie whispered, "You'd be perfect."

I didn't speak until the dog was out and busy chewing on the treats long enough for me to clean her bedding and the kennel itself. Frankie kept an eye on her but her gaze didn't leave me, not even as I got up to clean the next kennel.

"Look, my wife is afraid of dogs. I care for Kippie but there's nothing I can do."

She groaned. "You suck."

I only responded with a close-lipped smile as I opened the pantry and looked through the supplies; flicking through the documents, we were running low on a particular brand of dog food. By the looks of it, it wasn't going to last for two weeks especially considering the amount of pets we had. I'd have to order it now if I wanted it in before then.

After my call, the front door opened and a gust of fresh, hot air expelled inside the air-conditioned building. Potential adopters, I hoped, and glanced up. Only to see Sandra looking around. She was wearing skinny jeans and a black-and-white floral top with puffy sleeves that made her ten times younger.

"Hello there, are you looking to adopt?" One of the receptionists asked.

"Ah no, I just came in—Dhruv!" Sandra spotted me, dark eyes crinkling. "Just the person I was looking for."

"Everything all right?"

She waved a hand in the air. "Yeah, of course! I was actually going to get coffee from the place by your house. I thought I'd drop by here 'cause it's on the way." She spotted Frankie coming out from the doors to where the dogs were. "Frankie!"

"Sandy!" They embraced, swaying from side to side together with goofy smiles on their faces before pulling apart. "Oh my god, you're not a complete stick anymore! You're looking so good."

"Ugh, don't even. Life's been busy." She jerked her head over to me. "How's this one doing? Ruined anything yet?"

I snorted as Frankie rolled her eyes. "One of the dogs vomited on me the other day and he stood there and laughed. Does that count?"

"Sadism counts, yes."

I cleared my throat, manoeuvring around them. "If you don't mind taking this conversation elsewhere before any future dog owners find out we have two big gossips, it would be much appreciated."

"Oh speaking of future dog owners," Frankie began, wiggling her brows at me. "What do you say about adopting a dog, Sandy?"

"Me? I already have enough problems to deal with and adding a dog to that doesn't seem like such a good idea," she said, chuckling. I glanced up from the file I was holding and surveyed Sandra from beneath my lashes.

Problems? There was no indication in her body language or face that said she was having any issues; her skin was glowing, in fact. Her eyes never stayed rooted to one spot. It flitted about as if she was looking for someone.

"Is there something the matter?" I asked, even though discussing this at work was highly unprofessional. Sandra licked her lips and lifted her shoulders into a shrug.

"Yeah. Everything's fine. Standing in these wedges are killing me so I should probably get going." She left as soon as she had arrived and I stared after her. Frankie turned to me, her pink ponytail slapping her cheek in the process.

"What do you say about that dog?"

"I say no."

"At least ask your wife."

"She'll also say no."

"Just once. And if she says no, I'll pay for your rickshaw rides everyday until you get fired."

That sounded like a decent deal, I thought. Less money to spend on something so trivial. Besides, this was an easy challenge. I knew Rani's answer was going to be no so why even hesitate? I grinned. "All right." Frankie and I went over to the back where none of the other employees could see us, and I took out my phone. 

Me: 'One of our shelter dogs has no place to stay atm. What do you say we look after her for a while?'

In an instant a response came. One that had me tilting my head in confusion and Frankie screaming and jumping up and down like a child winning her very first prize.

Rani: 'A THOUSAND times yes.'

"Guess your wife's not scared of dogs anymore," she said. "I'm gonna go tell the others the news."

Long after she had gone, I mumbled, "I guess not."