53. Mouna

This was more nerve-wracking than the meeting I had with Tara. No matter how many times I had rehearsed what to say to Dhruv's parents, nothing could settle the hurricane that had whizzed around in my stomach. It wasn't me meeting them—it was Rani, but there was so much more at stake that way.

Things needed to be perfect. Only then would there be love and understanding between Dhruv and Rani again, and only then would we be able to return.

But as I walked down the wide, empty road near their house with Dhruv's mom, my skin prickled and my scalp tingled. I wrung my hands in front of me as we walked in complete silence, the only sound being our shoes pounding against the concrete.

"I wasn't expecting you to apologise," his mom said. She didn't elaborate. I waited. "When Dhruv was a child, he always sought approval for everything he did. I guess I got used to making decisions for him. When he brought you home, I just couldn't adjust. It took me four years to admit that I wanted to work things out with you." She eyed me. "But you have a bigger heart than I ever did."

Those words left a gaping hole in my stomach, a void that I didn't know why was there in the first place. This was a good thing. Rani was accepted by Dhruv's mom. This cemented everything into place.

Perfect, I said to myself. Like I wanted. I pushed away the desperate thought that wondered what it would be like to have this intimidating woman that was so unlike Dhruv to be my mother-in-law.

It wasn't a fair thought to have.

It wasn't right.

"I'm glad everything is working out," I said, reaching out to hold her hand. Her eyes froze on the bracelet that never came off.

"You have the same bracelet," she said abruptly. "Night of the Blood Moon."

Wait, what?

"What do you mean?" I asked, the conversation taking a different turn.

"Oh, nothing." She shook her head. "My grandfather used to tell me the tale of the Night of the Blood Moon and they used to sell these at the fair. I have only ever seen him wearing that. I think it was a tradition back then."

"My grandma still tells me that tale," I said absently, mulling over her words. She never told me about bracelets being sold or her ever having one, however.

"Really? Make the most of it. I loved that old tale. My grandfather always told me that story whenever I was too down on myself. I guess that's why I think my thoughts and views are better than everyone else's. Even yours."

I didn't say anything until she nudged me. "We are working on it now. I feel like things will be good between us."

"I'm sure we'll find something to disagree on."

"That makes us normal, I think," I mused. "And I am fine with an imperfect family."

I hoped Rani would be, too.

***

I had taken a long, cold shower, letting my thoughts drizzle away for a few moments.

Love conquers all.

It was a very cliche line. I had heard it in every romance movie that grandma had made me watch. But it was very true in my situation. The love between Rani and Dhruv, though it was torn to pieces and misunderstood at the beginning, was slowly being healed.

I tried to think of the humour to it. If I did manage to switch both me and Rani back, then that meant I had a future as a love therapist. I giggled to myself, though even to my ears it sounded as hollow as it felt.

After getting dressed in shorts and a long cotton pyjama top, I unlocked the bathroom door and headed out. Squeezing the water out of the tendrils of wavy hair with the towel, I let my thoughts overtake me.

When would this work? I thought. I had united everyone together like I was supposed to...would I be me again when I woke up? Should I say a discreet goodbye?

How did one even do that in a situation like this? So much had happened...I wouldn't be able to say bye to Sandra or Anish, despite their problems, and I would never see Dhruv or his parents again.

The thought sent a pang through me that started at my throat and plummeted into the deepest pits of my stomach. All of a sudden, I felt two strong arms wrapping themselves around my waist and tugging me back.

The towel fell from my hands to the floor as my back slammed into a strong chest. A flurry of tingles ran down my spine and to my now-curled toes as a pair of soft lips pressed against the spot near my ear. The very place he had kissed earlier today, sending goosebumps on my face. I didn't even know that was a place where I could get goosebumps.

I shivered in his arms as he whispered slowly, voice low and rough, "I've been wanting to say this for a while, but I'm liking the new you." He was very much, in essence, a man. A man that desired things—desired Rani right then. Right now. That thought sent alarm bells ringing in my head and without even thinking, I pushed his arms off of me and stepped away.

"I'm tired," I blurted out stupidly, ignoring the bemused expression that had crossed his face. I practically jumped into the bed, making sure my back was turned away from him so I could bury myself in the blanket and will the heat and the pounding in my body to go away.

Whatever I did, I needed to make sure he didn't touch me or kiss me.

I had to switch. I didn't know how much longer my heart could take.